Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice - 100 year old silk from China >

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Need advice - 100 year old silk from China

Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Not in a hundred million years would I dare use this fabric. Once had a beautiful silk blouse bought in China. Would have still been around if I hadn't done something stupid like actually trying to wear it. Real silk is beyond delicate. Print out the responses received on this website and show them to her...then nicely ask her to get someone else to quilt for her. This sounds like a disaster looking for a place to happen. So sorry you were put in this position. I feel for you.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I would politely decline. The fabric is way to fragile to be used in a quilt. I'd suggest she get the mold issue resolved then have the remaining fabric and embroideries made into a shadowbox or wall hanging or picture, framed by a professional picture framer.
I totally agree with Mitch's mom. I would never use such old fabric in a quilt as it will shred after the first wash. If you have to use some put it on the back with the label and save the rest for some thing special not a child's quilt.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM

Beautiful! Since it has clearly started to deteriorate, I would be be scared to death to take on on as a project for fear of losing a friend and ruining the gown.
You know your skill level and if you decide to take this on, I'd have a frank conversation with her about the uncertainty of stitching the delicate fabric. If she undrstands there is no guarantee and you feel comfortable - go for it. \
Good luck
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
Beautiful! Since it has clearly started to deteriorate, I would be be scared to death to take on on as a project for fear of losing a friend and ruining the gown.
You know your skill level and if you decide to take this on, I'd have a frank conversation with her about the uncertainty of stitching the delicate fabric. If she undrstands there is no guarantee and you feel comfortable - go for it. \
Good luck
Thank you for your post. I am concerned if it will stand up to any stress. This is why I wanted the views of other more experienced people on QB to confirm my thoughts about using this fabric.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Thank you all for your views. It is much appreciated and based on all the advice given, I am more confident that I will be able to make the decision without feeling too guilty.