Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice ASAP re: finishing quilt >

Need advice ASAP re: finishing quilt

Need advice ASAP re: finishing quilt

Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 AM

Default Need advice ASAP re: finishing quilt

Okay, peeps of the QB. If you are reading this and have advice, please tell me. I am making a quilt to give my sister for her b'day this afternoon! Yes, today.

I have finished it except for binding, washing, signing the label.

I'm gonna put it in the washing machine within the next 1/2 hour (hence my need for quick advice).

Should I first:

1) use a long running stitch to close the edges
2) sew the binding to the front
3) zig-zag the edges closed

And should I keep any batting "sticking out" for the binding, or go ahead and trim it all even with the quilt's edges?

Thanks.

PS I will be hand binding it after the party and (I hope) be able to finish it before she leaves Weds.
She lives out of state and I'd rather not have to pay to mail it, but I will. It's almost a twin size.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 AM

If you have extra backing I would pull that to the front and baste or pin it. That would cover the raw edges before you wash it. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 AM

Why does it need to be washed before it is finished. Why can't you do the binding before washing. It absolutely necessary, I would trim the batting, sew the double binding to the outside edges leaving only the hand stitching to do later. Yes, do zig zag the 1/4 inch raw edge to prevent raveling. Wash on gentle cycle only a few minutes with a small drizzle of dawn dish soap. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:38 AM

Yes, I also would like to know why you feel you have to wash it before gifting it. I would make a faux flange binding, sew it to the back by machine and then sew it to the front by machine as well. Matching the thread to the faux flange will make the stitches disappear and it is much much faster than hand sewn binding. Here is a link to a tute from MSQC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQWwwAa2K0
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 AM

I would also finish the binding before washing. But if for some reason you can't, finish the outside edges firmly all the way around like with a zigzag, or stitching one or two close rows right on the edges. You could have some significant fraying of the edges making the binding a real problem unless you have plenty of room to trim/square it up before attaching the binding.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:52 AM

The reason I want to wash it beforehand is that I have drawn some of the quilting designs on with Crayola Ultra Washable markers. It might freak her out to see that? Maybe I should just let her see part of the process, though?
I've never washed before binding, but wondered if I should make an exception.

And I definitely want to hand bind. I enjoy it a lot --and I've not been pleased with my machine binding, the few times I've tried it. NEver looks as neat.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 AM

Finish, then wash, as others said. Otherwise, you’re just making more work for yourself.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 AM

What the others have said. Do not wash until finished.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I also agree with binding before washing. The fraying that could happen may ruin the quilt. The only possible option might be to sew it to the front, then using a really long machine stitch complete the binding. Re-stitch by hand, then remove the temporary stitching.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-26-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Okay, I see the advice is unanimous; I won't wash it first. I'll give it to her 98 % finished, letting her see my marker and chalk marks as part of the process. Then I'll bind it over the next week or so, and mail the finished product as a Christmas present. She lives alone and thus doesn't get too many prezzies under her tree, so the final quilt in a big pretty package will be a double sweet thing, right?

That's my consolation for not having been able to finish it by today--her big 5-Oh.

I could have finished it had I started sooner, or had I forfeited spending time with her while she's been in town. Just had no idea that the new method of sandwiching I tried in the name of "easier" would actually be a pain in the tush and created extra aggravation and time.

Anyway, I'll see if I can take some photos before I wrap it. If not, you all will see the Big Reveal photos in a couple weeks after the binding is on.