Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on making a Crazy quilt with a twist >

Need advice on making a Crazy quilt with a twist

Need advice on making a Crazy quilt with a twist

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Hi, I want to start on my Betty Boop quilt...I've collected a bunch of FQ's, new and vintage etc....Which means that Betty is small on some of the FQ's and larger on others...After looking around I think doing a crazy quilt would work best..Since I'll be able to control the size of the pieces...
It would be all cotton fabric and I wouldnt want to do very much embellishing..Although I really would like to just be able to sew the pieces together without a stabilizer (most I've seen sewn on to muslin etc) into squares and then joining the squares together...Is this doable? If so, could someone please point me to a tutorial...Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

I did an I Spy quilt in different sized squares that I didn't use a backing on. I don't really consider it a crazy quilt tho, I just cut the squares the way I wanted/needed so they fit together. Another idea is to use some coordinating fabrics to make bands around the smaller squares to make them equal the size of the larger squares. The bands will add interest when you sew them together.
Here is the I spy quilt I did. You can see where I have added some random strips where needed to make the squares fit together.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164354.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Another neat idea I saw here is to put the smaller ones inside a 9 patch block... all the same, such as churn dash, or different variations. You can keep these blocks a little smaller by keeping the corner blocks smaller and making the outside center blocks rectangular rather than square. There are so many ideas!!! I know you can be very creative and have a lot of fun with Miss Boop!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM

am i correct in assuming you want to use a possible foundation for stability? i use the lightest weight non-fusible interfacing, but even that adds some weight. my last string quilt i used fabric softner sheets, that were already used, and it turned out quite well. i am still saving them for more foundation pieced projects. i also have used newspaper which tears off very well. that way there is no extra weight.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM

wow! Wildyard, I love your quilt!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Gorgeous I spy quilt wildyard!...And actually happyscrappy, I am wanting to NOT use any foundation... Just randomly sew the pieces together and then square up the block, press the seams open...I've looked around and can't seem to find a tutorial like that..I'm still searching
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM

LOL, You don't need a tutorial! Just grab some scraps first and DO IT!! Once you have done a practice square or two to see how it goes, work out any kinks, then you can write a tutorial for us!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM

lol.. So it can be done without a foundation..I just didn't want it to fall apart after the third night because of my ignorance (laugh)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
lol.. So it can be done without a foundation..I just didn't want it to fall apart after the third night because of my ignorance (laugh)
I am sure you can do it without a foundation, especially if you are using fairly good sized pieces and your seams are 1/4". I have seen crazy quilts that are not foundation pieced, especially if you don't intend to do lots of embellishments like the fancy stitching, and the machine embroidery.
Good luck, but most importantly, have fun!!!