Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice on mounting Quilt Backing  on frame >

Need Advice on mounting Quilt Backing on frame

Need Advice on mounting Quilt Backing on frame

Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Over the weekend, I have put together a quick giant D9P for the backseat of my new car. Intended for it to be just a utility quilt and also thought it would be a good opportunity to try a larger item on my rather new Juki and frame. So, it is almost ready to load onto the frame, but here is the question...I am using flannel for the back and had to piece the back. The quilt is square and I pieced the flannel on the lengthwise grain. So, do I load it onto the frame with the seam running parallel to the rails on the frame or top to bottom. Putting it so that the seam is perpendicular to the rails (top to bottom) there would be less stretching from the tension of the rails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know I am not explaining well, but I want to get this loaded on the frame after supper. Please help!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM

You never want to line up a seam with the center of your machine. Generally, you would take a full width, center it, and add pieces on either side to make the backing. Everything you put on your machine should be centered on the rails. I permanently marked my rails center. Then each piece I put on I center with that point. Your top rail is your take up rail. The next rail is backing, the next is your top. I use cut pieces instead of putting a roll of batting on the machine so I slide it up between top and backing, smooth it put and pin along with the top's edge. I have a vertical lock on my machine so I can sew long basting stitches across the top to hold it in place while quilting, Hope this helps. Look for a tute on utube. There are many out there on Loading your quilt frame.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm new at it....but I was told my an long-time longarmer that he always runs the back seams from left to right rather than from front to back. He said that way you only cross that line once. Now -- for the life of me I can't figure out WHY that's a problem! Consider how many seams are on the TOP of the quilt! I DO agree with 2 seams rather than one on the backing.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Rats! Well, I have already done it with only one seam...so it's going to have to do, but I will definitely keep that in mind for the next time. I am in the process of loading the frame now, and I did put the seam left to right. So I did one thing right anyway...good thing it is only meant to be a utility/practice quilt to put over the back seat of the car when the dog rides along.

Thanks for the input. I knew I could count on you folks.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 PM

I try not to have a seam roll onto itself on the backing. The more you roll onto the rail the 'floppier' each side of the seam gets. I try to either 1) piece triangles with a diagonal seam or 2) have seam run across the pole.

I also don't worry where the seam is, down the middle, 1/4 way in, one, two or three seams. It's just the position of where the seams land on the pole for me.

Try it both ways and you will see what I mean. I know it takes time, but it is better to see for yourself.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks Coyote - I have it all loaded on the frame now, but too late to start quilting tonight. Hopefully I will be able to do a little each evening after work. I plan on doing an all over meander, but want to use black on the black border and dark purple on the rest of the quilt. So, if I remember what others have said, use same color top and bottom thread to prevent...hmmm...bearding, I think they called it. am I right?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM

i put backing on which ever way it fits the best no problem with machine either way
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Parallel / Left to right, a seam all in one spot will cause a bump, when your rolling it up, harder to get the bottom smooth, have had thread break if too many layers or if needed to piece batting, but this is a mid arm not a long arm, no doubt a difference. :)
Good Luck and Enjoy the new frame!!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

definitly running along the rails! if you have your seams running top to bottom as you roll your quilt that seam builds and builds extra layers so the center of the quilt is very thick and your sides are baggy, flapping...with each turn of the quilt the center is another 4 layers thick compared to the one layer on the outsides. i try to always load with the seam nice and straight along the bar so when i roll it it is even the full length side to side. no building up and causing wrinkles, uneven areas
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Thanks Coyote - I have it all loaded on the frame now, but too late to start quilting tonight. Hopefully I will be able to do a little each evening after work. I plan on doing an all over meander, but want to use black on the black border and dark purple on the rest of the quilt. So, if I remember what others have said, use same color top and bottom thread to prevent...hmmm...bearding, I think they called it. am I right?
Bearding is when the batting pokes through your top or back and you can see little 'puffs' of your batting. Usually caused by dull/burred or over sized needle.

Use same color thread top & bottom so that if your tension is a little off the bottom color doesn't show on top and vice versa. You may want to use a variegated thread and not worry about thread changes. I hate changing my bobbin even when it runs out because it is a pain to do.

Good luck and post pics!