Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice for quilt raffle >

Need advice for quilt raffle

Need advice for quilt raffle

Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Need advice for quilt raffle

Our dahlia club is hosting the Midwest Dahlia Conference next year. I announced at the meeting last night that I would make a giant dahlia quilt and donate it to the club for a raffle. One of the members said that in our state we need a license to have a raffle as it is a form of gambling. So:

1. has anyone else run into this problem?

2. how much did your group make raffling off a donated quilt?

3. we can have an auction without all the political paperwork, would you suggest that?

4. advice in general and your thoughts please.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 AM

I have run raffles before for a charitable women’s organization. You will need to contact your state tax department to see what your responsibilities are. Where I live, the organization has to have its 501c(3) status, and be in good standing with the state’s tax department. Then there are different levels of raffle licenses. It may be that the value of the quilt is below the threshold that requires a license. But if you do need a license, the rules you need to follow, record keeping involved, and then filing the tax return isn’t too difficult or expensive. I’ve been involved in quilt raffles that have raised $800 and raffles that have raised $15000. It just depend who’s buying the tickets and their motivation.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

We are required to get permits for raffles also. I have found it well worth it. You can decide how many tickets to sell, how much for them and make a larger amount of money doing a raffle. I stopped donating quilts for auctions- the last one about 10 years ago cost me $225 to make- it was auctioned off for $45 I vowed to never participate in those type of fund raisers again. The last raffle quilt I donated a couple months ago brought in $1800.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:54 AM

My Guild raffles quilts and does well. We do plan ahead in terms of having tickets made up. (We raffle off every 2 years at our quilt show.) It does require a "team" to oversee it and take to venues to sell tickets, although now I believe we may be selling some through the net. Our jurisdiction does make you get a permit but it has never been an issue. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:20 AM

In my state it is considered gambling too. To get around this we “sell” tickets for a piece of candy (peppermint) or pencil. Check with your state to see if this is acceptable
Old 10-20-2019, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

We also need a raffle license. As for raising a good amount, you really have to bring the quilt to a lot of venues if you want to sell a lot of tickets. Sign up sheets of volunteers to man the table and guard the quilt also needed. If no one is interested in putting in the time and effort, not really going to be worth your while.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:08 AM

I live in Washington State, one of the jurisdictions that monitors raffles and which requires a permit and accounting, and yes raffles are lumped in with gambling and pull tabs and things like that.

Many groups around here will do auctions at fund raisers as easier than raffles, but guilds particularly do have raffles usually associated with their shows. I very rarely see raffles other than that -- the big one here is for an organization that raffles a designer house that has TV ads even.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:55 AM

Can't offer an opinion as to which method raises more $$ but as to raffle licenses, yes, they are required here in NJ as well. In fact, we have to get the license from the state - which really isn't that difficult once you wade through the instructions of what they want - but once that is in hand, we also have to get a permit from our local municipality. Again, not difficult but their process entails that activity go before the local board of governors to 'approve' the raffle in our town as well. We've never been turned down by either authority it's just the required hooped that need to be jumped through, lol. And the licensing isn't particularly expensive but there are (state & local) costs involved.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Alabama is a no raffle state as well. Our guild has used "Opportunity Quilt" for many years with no issues. We sell tickets (individual members sell as well as the quilt is displayed at several quilt stores and other venues for about 6 months), I am in charge of moving it around and collecting money and tickets. We advertise it as an Opportunity Quilt and have never had an issue. We draw a ticket at the Christmas party every year. No raffle, no auction.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Sometime all the red tape is just too much trouble. That is the reason I donate and/or give away my quilts. Not worth the aggravation to me.