Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice >

Need advice

Need advice

Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM

I change the sewing machine needles with each new projects. I clean out the bobbin case on a regular basis with a clean paint brush.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 PM

It's happened to us all. I use a small kid's paintbrush to clean/pick up the lint in the bobbin area. I now change the needle after every project but like you I found out the hard way. Look at your manual, it's easier than you think. Just give yourself time and you'll get to know your machine and its needs. Keep on with the quilting, it's a great craft. I love it.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
dls

You will likely be amazed at how much better your sewing goes after you put in a sharp needle and clean up the machine a little bit.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
I clean mine every bobbin change. And probably do not change the needle enough - kind of like my blades in the rotary cutter.
One way to tell you are past due for a needle change is a popping sound while you are stitching. It is the mark of a blunt or burred needle. It is breaking the threads of the fabric.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM

When you take out the broken needle , pay close attention to which side the flat part goes. Then replace the new one in the same way. Make sure you put it in as far as it will go, and tighten the screw. I use a screwdriver in my large machine because it vibrates a bit and gets loose.
Definitely have a look inside to defuzz your machine. If you can't follow the manual to do this, just take it in to your fav shop and ask them to show you.
Or, get another sewing buddy to show you. Generally quilters are a friendly and sharing bunch!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieH
It's happened to us all. I use a small kid's paintbrush to clean/pick up the lint in the bobbin area. I now change the needle after every project but like you I found out the hard way. Look at your manual, it's easier than you think. Just give yourself time and you'll get to know your machine and its needs. Keep on with the quilting, it's a great craft. I love it.
I use a small (1/2" by 1") piece of batting held with a pair of hemostats to clean under and around the bobbin area. It's like felt and pulls up all kinds of dust bunnies. Using a hemostat is a safety thing - it locks, so I won't drop the batting, and the tips are blunt so I won't scratch anything.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM

I was so sorry to hear what happened to your machine,that has got to be so frustrating,don't feel bad for sounding off,I don't blame you one bit I would be quite upset if it was me.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM

You should change your needle reasonably often. Perhaps it broke because it was too dull to go through the material. The more sewing you do, the easier it is to know when to change the needle. Certainly if you hear a sort of popping sound when the needle goes in it means you have left it a bit long to change the needle. After every project(and sometimes during) you should get rid of fluff in the bobbin race and feed dogs. I use a big paint brush or make up brush for this as the ones they supply you with are inadequate.
Never pull the thread backward through the tension disc when you are changing the thread as you can drag lint into the disc. Cut it off at the top and drag the tail out through the needle direction. The little bit of thread waste is worth not having to get your machine serviced too often.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
You should change your needle reasonably often. Perhaps it broke because it was too dull to go through the material. The more sewing you do, the easier it is to know when to change the needle. Certainly if you hear a sort of popping sound when the needle goes in it means you have left it a bit long to change the needle. After every project(and sometimes during) you should get rid of fluff in the bobbin race and feed dogs. I use a big paint brush or make up brush for this as the ones they supply you with are inadequate.
Never pull the thread backward through the tension disc when you are changing the thread as you can drag lint into the disc. Cut it off at the top and drag the tail out through the needle direction. The little bit of thread waste is worth not having to get your machine serviced too often.
I grit my teeth when I see someone pull the thread back through the disks. That was the first thing I learned when I purchased my first new machine. I AlWAYS cut and pull through the needle... Once you get into the habit, you don't forget. :thumbup:
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM

When I clean my bobbin area out I use canned air when I'm finished and I was surprised how much fine lint build up still remains after cleaning. Canned air is what is also used to clean dust from keyboards on yor computers.