Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice using older hand-pieced quilt blocks >

Need advice using older hand-pieced quilt blocks

Need advice using older hand-pieced quilt blocks

Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Gal

These are absoutely gorgous, I love them, I'm not experienced enough to add to any of the advise given just wanted to say how I loved the pic with them on the washing line, sooooo pretty! Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Gal
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM

I'll be watching this thread as I have a similar set of blocks. Mine were just the stars though and I don't think I have that many. I'll be interested in seeing your final quilt.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM

I love to read - even on the web!

Some sweet quilter wrote (someplace on the web) that if you have a few blocks that are off color or otherwise are less than perfect, go ahead and use them on the outside edge of your quilt. See how many are the correct size, see if you can't add to the small blocks and then put them on the outside edge. Trim down the ones you must.

Never tried it but I do think it might work!

Jois
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM

If they are very old, their existing size would be a uniqueness to me. Like the Vintage machines, these blocks tell their own story about the times and conditions they may have been made in. I would do anything I could to leave them as they are. I agree with the block sizing/stretching and I really like the idea of having the odd sized blocks bordered by themselves. I just wouldn't be able to cut them. And if they are very, very, very, very old they are even more unique.

((Can someone on this board look at the photo and maybe date the material?)))
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Your idea is great. I love the way you presented them to us. All in a line. What a great picture.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM

My goodness! The blocks are so charming. The old material reminds me of some of the material (fabric for you younguns) that I've got in my old ones, too. The clothes line picture is great! New ruling this year, no clothes lines in our city!! Still got my poles and I string up rope just for curtains and blankets, but not on the day the darn zone inspector comes through and that is usually garbage day. I watch for the city truck! Life without clothes line is uncivilized, whatcha think?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
My goodness! Life without clothes line is uncivilized, whatcha think?
I agree. Nothing smells as fresh as bed linens dried on a clothes line.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
What a wonderful find. The easiest thing to do would be use the square in a square techinque to turn them on point and float them. You would have enough for two bedsize quilts especially if you then added colorful borders. Have fun.
This might be the best idea because if you border each square in white and turn on point it will be very difficult to check if the blocks are all the same size - that is I don't think white on white and on point would pull your eyes do find a straight line the way rows of blocks would.

They are too good not to save.

Jois