Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise >

need advise

need advise

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM

ok girls and guys , I have it in my head to purchase a serger. I,am retired and just want to play with one. am I crazy? you know when you get something in your head and can't jet it out. anyway either talk me out of it or tell me the one I should buy, remember I'am a beginer at sergeing, though I qulit and sew alot I've never owned a serger. I've been looking but it's really confuseing. Looking to spend around 500.00 I looked at babylock and if I was sure I would use it that would be my choice ,but I'am real good at wanting something and then never useing it after I get It . I would consider a good used on If I knew what to look for. Need your help in picking one Thanks in advance. :D
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Hi Clair
I had one years ago, gave it to my niece - it's great for finishing off t-shirts and pull on pants (I made a lot of play clothes for the kids when they were small) just check to see if lessons will be given at the place you plan on purashing it from. Good Luck
NormaBeth
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Clair good luck..I bought one a few years ago..then it sat in the box unopened for about 3 weeks..I ended up taking it back..I was terrified to open it *L* hope you have better luck with yours...crafty_linda_b
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM

I thought about this, and the only use I would have is when DH and I are working on items to send to the soldiers overseas. Right now we have our grandaughter serge the edges of the sand scarves and cooling scarves. I can't see a need for one to quilt with. Especially since I would have to buy one.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi
I have a Huskylock 340 (Husquvarna) and love it. Not really used for quilting but great for finishing off seams in garments and general sewing. Kids' tshirts, nighties, etc. Good for just a nice finished look for knits, and especially useful if you are making garments from frayable fabrics.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

What are you planning to use it for? If you are thinking about sewing the pieces together that go into a quilt with the serger, then all that extra thread from the serger adds a ton of weight to the finish quilt. It is excellent to use with bridal fabrics, or fabrics that ravel. It's good for finishing seams in clothing. Unless you are going to use it a whole lot, I would vote against the expensive one. Go to the LQS and play on theirs, try out different models. Check on Ebay or Craig's List for used machines. The money you save will buy a lot of beautiful fabric. I have a serger and it sits and sits! I don't make my clothes any more. I'm learning to quilt. I used it a lot with bridal fabrics and some craft things I did. But not inot that anymore.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

You need to have a lot of patience. When I taught quilting at a local sew n vac shop, I used to break out in a sweat when someone wanted a demo on a serger. I don't know how much they have changed in last 10 yrs., but threading was a pain.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 AM

I bought mine to shorten hems on my knitted clothes. In fact I have 2 of them-- an entry level Pfaff that has a lovely rolled hem and an almost top of the line Pfaff that is a cover stitch. Since discovering quilting I no longer sew garments and these machines just sit unused in the back of the closet. Before I would sink much money into one of these machines I would see if I could borrow or rent one. Failing that I would go to a reputable dealer, get a lower priced machine that would offer good trade-in value if you find that you would really use one much of the time.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I use mine to cover (serge) the raw edges of fabrics before washing them.

Also great to finish edges of things like bags and pillowcases - minimizes that "home-made" (vs custom-made) look.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM

I have heard that they are much easier to thread now (self-threading?). When DM and I bought our embroidery machine they gave us a serger. We took a class to figure out how to use it, made a few t-shirts, and never got it out again. I agree that if all you are doing is quilting, you don't need it.