Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advise! >

Need Advise!

Need Advise!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been quilting now for over ten years, but never done a bargello. Seeing all those wonderful bargellos here on the site, made my decission even easier.

This new year I'm going to start one. I got my pattern already.
It's called, "Melinda's heart". Gorgeous!
(I'm not able to show pics yet)

Now I got doubts! Has anyone done this before? Is it a good one as a first time bargello? The pattern calls itself easy. But I don't know?

Do you think I should go with a different pattern first?
Please let me know what you think.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I've never done that one before but like all bargellos I'm sure you just have to place your strips right. I'm sure you will do just fine. Jump right in.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM

I've done the Twisted Bargello (waiting to be quilted). It was so easy. This pattern looks just as easy. It's lots of strips. You can do it with no problem. :) :) :)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM

I have done many Bargello quilts. One of the key ingredients to success is staying organized !! Do make a color key , make a strip set and cut a strip and mark each color in the strip with the correct number as it corresponds in the pattern. This is very important as you start the quilt. As you progress the pattern and colors will be come more apparent.
The second ingredient is take your time. It is a bit of a diffenrent process and will take some time getting your brain adjusted. One your brain is "re-trained" there is no stopping your level you are willing to take on. I continue to look for more an more "chanllenging" patterns.
I use a bulletin board to keep my strip sets and partial strips sets organized. I found this to be the most effective way to stay organized.
I wish you luck and know you will be hooked on Bargello.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

I HAD ORDERED A KIT OF A TABLE RUNNER W/A BLACKBACKGROUND& a ribbon of bargello[xmas]having never done a bargello,i thought the kit would be easier,but connecting threads called & said they were sold out of Dec la kit in black was sold out,but they did have the pattern.i ordered it ,the only problem is the pattern has the white background.now i'mafraid to try it! can i just substitute black for where ever it calls for white ? i just LOVE the pattern,but am afraid to try.decided to wait til after theholidays so i can concentrate on it alone.has anyone done this pattern,& if so,how hard is it ? would love to hear from anyone who has done this ,& any tips you can give me
thanks,dar
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

check out the tutorials on bargellos and read through the basic information, then look at your pattern...does it make sense? do you understand the steps? YES...well, i'd say you are ready to go...everyone that makes bargello's had to start with that first one...and it is one of those techniques that people are WOW-ed by but are much easier than they appear :thumbup: don't sabatoge your accomplishments by being doubtful or negative before you even start.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Bargellos are super easy. The main thing to remember is to mark your colors well, so yo don't get mixed up. The first one I made was a colorwash and if I hadn't marked my colors well I would have gone nuts.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 AM

Just make sure you keep the sequences correctly and you should be fine. I mostly do colourwash and bargello - especially from scraps of other projects - as I am reluctant to throw out any fabric. You will have fun.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

Thank you all for that wonderful advise!

I will do as you all suggested and I'm happy now to get started in the new year.

I know, should I get stuck, I'll call out for help.

Thanks again, I realy appreciate it!