Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need to buy a good quilting machine for fmq >

need to buy a good quilting machine for fmq

need to buy a good quilting machine for fmq

Old 03-30-2024, 11:19 AM

Default need to buy a good quilting machine for fmq

ok ....so i've been looking around and I'm confused. I don't want a longarm machine. I'd like to stay under 1400.00 if i can. I need something to free motion quilt maybe a queen size quilt. I'd like it to be powerful/fast with a big harp space. auto thread cut would be nice. I have a sewing store near me, but he doesn't have much to choose from. I was checking out the Juki brand, but i'm not sure. and it doesn't come with a free motion foot/and a 1/4 inch foot.

help please
any suggestions would go a long.......way

debbie
Old 03-30-2024, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm, I bought the Juki TL2010Q on Amazon and it came with 2 quilting (free motion) feet. It's fabulous for quilting your own quilts. I got a 1/4 inch foot from Wawak for a very reasonable price, like 6 bucks.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I love my Juki TL 2020. The TL 18 is one step above for bag making and thick layers. It has all the features and speed control. It's about $800- $1000. Sales are frequent. I would buy from Juki Junkies online. They have perfect customer service record and every machine is tested before being sent out. Also they will ask you a lot of questions to be sure you get the machine that will do what you want it to do and will not try to push a higher model. If no local dealer you can trust then I'd use https://jukijunkies.com/ The Handiquilter has a quality straight stitch machine about $1500 at Stitchin Heaven right now with free ext table until April 1. It's an excellent machine for serious fmq.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

You have to email about the free ext table. Code word Rob Said. It was something he added on his youtube today.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:40 PM

I have a Juki 2200 QVP Mini which is the same as the TL 2010. I quilted a king size quilt with FMQ last year and had no problems at all. The harp space is not only long but tall so it gives you a lot of work space. I have pieced on it too and it's excellent for that.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:01 AM

I have a Juki TL 2000qi and it does a great job with FMQ. I have two quilting feet (a 1/5 for general quilting and a 1/4 for using with rulers.) I do wish it had a feature that it only goes a maximum speed because I can inadvertently get going) but am overall pleased with it. I do watch a lot of Angela Walters videos with it, too.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:04 AM

It really depends on if you want other features such as zig zag. The JUKI 2010 AND Janome HD9 are mechanical straight stitch machines. Both great machines for straight stitch and Fmq. The HD9 is faster, has a bigger bobbin and more lighting and sews through 4 layers of purse leather with no problem. Contact Kevin at kenssewingcenter.com, they are very dependable. I have purchased 5 machines from them over the years. No problems. (I do not have any affiliation)....just a great dealer. No shipping/no tax and always very competitive on price.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 03-31-2024 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 03-31-2024, 05:09 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The Handiquilter has a quality straight stitch machine about $1500 at Stitchin Heaven right now with free ext table until April 1. It's an excellent machine for serious fmq.
The HQ Stitch 510 is a rebadged Janome 1600P-QC. Janome makes Handi Quilter's domestic machines.
Old 03-31-2024, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

The HQ Stitch 510 is a rebadged Janome 1600P-QC. Janome makes Handi Quilter's domestic machines.
I read the HQ Stitch and Janome each had a slight difference in specifications but each are excellent machines. A little more pricey than the Juki. The new Rebel machines is getting a lot of notice for machine quilting.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Brother PQ1500. Very similar to Juki and much less expensive. I do all m FMQ on it and it is great.