Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need charm pack help for baby quilt please >

Need charm pack help for baby quilt please

Need charm pack help for baby quilt please

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Default Need charm pack help for baby quilt please

Making a lap size pinwheel and prairie point quilt for a baby shower. The couple has chosen not to know if this is a boy or girl, so I need cute, bright, gender-neutral fabric. Any suggestions? I envy those of you with local quilt shops-I need to do my shopping online! Thank you!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Dr Seuss - The Cat and the hat or the brand new Green Eggs and Ham Robert Kaufman fabric lines are gender neutral. Fabric.com has the Cat and hat, but I'm not sure about the new Green Eggs and Ham. Fatquartershop.com has both.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM

Just an idea...there are some cute Peter Rabbit/Beatrix Potter fabrics online. A-B-C is a good theme for either boys or girls, as are numbers, farm animals, zoo animals, etc.

If you want to start with a panel that you can border with pinwheels, take a look at fabric.com and put "panel" in the search line. I've used some panels for soft books to make really cute quilts, cut them up and put the "pages" in order for blocks with either sashing or an alternate block. I have the "So Many Bunnies" book panel that I have not made up yet, but it is soooo cute. I'm going to make it up next time I need a baby gift. It has lots of green, blue and brown, gender neutral.
http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2...3-26a376046a5e

Fabric.com has a lot of other cute panels (Paddington Bear, A-B-Cs, etc.) as well that are a wonderful start for a baby quilt.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM

I saw the cutest pin wheel quilt made out of bright polka dot fabric for one part of the pin wheel and a lighter polka dot on the next part of the pin wheel. Everyone has such good ideas!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Dr. Seuss is a good choice, also jungle animals, tropical fish/beachy designs, dogs/cats, geometric fabrics in bright colors.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I just made a quilt with Dr. Seuss fabrics for another baby, so I want to do something a little different. I ordered Moda Simply Color charm pack-looks like just the right colors for this project! Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM

I just bought an alphabet panel. Sorry no info on the salvage edge. But, you could google or go to ebay. You could do the pinwheels in the corners & the edge do the prairie points. I'm going to use the blocks to do my grandbabies names on quilts for them. Just look around at the children's fabrics & I bet that you will get an inspiration. Enjoy the whole process. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Bearnstein Bear fabric is cute. I have made a couple of quilts with this line of fabric.