Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need design help with baby quilt >

need design help with baby quilt

need design help with baby quilt

Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
I really like this design for a baby quilt and think the first one is more controlled while the second is more exuberant. I think the first will go better given the colors you mentioned. You could quilt it with leaves and plants, maybe a butterfly or dragonfly thrown in; With green thread for the plants and the yellow for the insects.

I agree and love the quilting idea too.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE the first one, go with it.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 AM

The dresdens are adorable! Right on! It will be great for the room. I would mix it up a bit to add some variety -- perhaps not all of the different ones but surely a good little mix.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Have you thought of contact the niece's mom and sister sending them the photos you have posted since they are in charge of decorating?? Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:08 PM

Can you mock it up with bright yellow centers for the dresden circles to help it pop?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
Can you mock it up with bright yellow centers for the dresden circles to help it pop?
good idea, I'll try that....
Old 01-10-2016, 02:26 PM

The green/yellow one looks great! It will match, and the mother will love it. In a few months, you can make another for the baby to drag around, and then another and another. Plenty of time to make ones that you love, but for now, this one is just perfect, and very clever.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM

This is one of those quilts that you have to remember is for the one receiving it. I've had to work in a color scheme I can't get into but the final result was appreciated. Mine was a wedding quilt and the bride knew I liked to work with bright colors but she's a country girl. She loved the result, I yawned.
BTW, I love the second one with the bright colors, the design is great in both. I agree that perhaps it's the greys bringing the quilt down, but it's their color scheme.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

In the very beginning of my quilting career I learned that it's pretty silly to make a quilt to match a room because the room will be re-decorated many, many times during the life of a quilt. Are you going to throw it out, put it into a dark closet forever, if it doesn't match the decor in a few years? If you think of a quilt as a personal use comfort item rather than part of your room's accessory, you'll realize that whether it "matches" or not is really rather irrelevant.

You've tried to keep in mind their preferences, but have taken it further than that, which will endear it to their baby for a long time after his baby room has grown up.

Jan in VA
Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 AM

Your quilt is stunning and very interesting. The baby will like the pattern fabrics you used in your Dresden plates. You accomplished making the quilt cheerful with your addition of Dresden plates. I don't think you need to add a thing.