Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need HandiQuilter Advice >

Need HandiQuilter Advice

Need HandiQuilter Advice

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Default Need HandiQuilter Advice

I took my HandiQuilter in a couple of months ago due to a timing issue. Since it has been back home, I've been experiencing issues with tension. I even took it back in for another look. I wrote about a week ago describing twisted loops on the backside and advice was that the thread is too loose or maybe I'm sewing too fast in the loops and circles. Now, last night I was sewing with King Tut thread and a #19 needle. When I test the tension, it looks great, but when I started actually quilting, the thread kept breaking......I mean frequently. After a number of thread breaks, I changed the King Tut to a Connecting Threads polyester (which is smaller) and a #18 needle and finished the quilt with no problems. So, what do you think is happening??? I'm frustrated and confused! Thanks in advance for your help. BTW, I can't afford another trip to the tech.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Power Poster

I don't know but I have the same with king tut thread. I run everything else on my machine.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 AM

It sounds as if King Tut was the problem. I'd contact Superior Threads about the problem. They are very responsive to customer concerns.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Had you used the spool of King Tut before? sometimes, you just get a bad spool of thread. Also, don't know what color it was, but darker threads have so much dye that they behave differently. Stiffer, tend to jump out of the takeup lever, more breakage etc.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 AM

I don't use a HQ but an APQS long arm...but I wonder if your tension is too tight for the cotton? A bad spool of cotton thread is also a great thought by Paper Princess up there... Especially since you moved on to poly which is much stronger and had zero problems. When you set your tension, generally the idea is to set your top tension according to the thread you're using, then set the bobbin case to match. If your top tension is too tight to begin with, you can experience a lot of thread shredding or breakage...even if your tension is even in the quilt itself. I might try loosening up that top tension, then setting the bobbin to match and see if it works for you that way. Also...double check you've cleaned out all the lint in the bobbin area and bobbin case. Cotton thread is VERY linty...I rarely use it just because I hate cleaning up after it! LOL Even the teensiest of lint balls will throw everything out of whack.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 AM

I had a HORRIBLE problem with my beloved HQ16. Long story short---it was the needle sold to me for an HQ. They have a gold coating on them that shreds the needle and causes it to break. Once I stopped using it--problems went away.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 AM

I know we don't mess with our tensions much on our DSM (I know I rarely touch anything on mine!), but on the long arms, the tensions will need to be adjusted to each thread. I have started writing down what works for each thread. Glide needs the tensions dialed WAAAAAY back and an 18 needle, Permacore and Omni are pretty easy..med tensions and they like any needle I throw at them. Try a practice piece and just adjust the tensions with diff thread and take notes! When I got my Innova, the new owners class included a whole day on a sampler. We tried lots of diff quilting ideas and she made us change threads often. I wrote down on my sampler what kind on threads I used where so I could offer them as options when I quilt for others. You might look and see if there is a Yahoo group for HQ. They 'speak' your machine's language and might have other tips and encouragements.PS dont' be surprised when a thread you have been using faithfully gives you FITS. I had that problem recently with Glide. Consider it learning to troubleshoot for next time. I almost have Glide mastered again! I did have to call my tech support on the phone and he is helping me thru it on my own.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM

I've had some bad thread before and went back to my LQS, where they agreed and gave me another spool. King Tut worked well with my machine.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Interesting, I have a babylock crown jewel and have not had problems with King Tut thread. I do however always use a size 18 needle with king tut.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Thanks Ladies.....I can always count on you for answers/advice/counseling. I'm getting ready to start another quilt and staying away from that particular cone of King Tut......I do plan to make a all to Superior. Thanks again!!!