Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to hear from Military Moms >

Need to hear from Military Moms

Need to hear from Military Moms

Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

twin - full--- longer than normal
make them warm- it gets really really cold- and they are living in tents- (think winters on Mash tv show)
my son in law will be heading out for his 4th deployment in september-
he has memory quilts- with pictures of the girls (3 daughters who didn't want daddy to forget them)
i put the pictures in the center of star blocks (made with thimbleberry (dark) fabrics and outdoorsy flannels
backing camo fabric...his---never leave without it (blanky)
we also made each of the girls a rice bag with a picture of (daddy and girl together) so while he is gone each night they can warm their rice bag and take a nice warm daddy hug to bed with them--- or have a warm daddy hug anytime they need it :) the pictures on the rice bags are ones where he is holding that one child- they are happy- looking at each other---so special! it is always so hard on them when he is gone...the youngest at times has to take her daddy hug to school with her...
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 AM

Reading this made me cry...What a good Mom and Grandma you are!!! Love the idea of the pictures on the quilt!! Just a thought...wonder if he would like a handy (the ones that no one these day use...he could have a picture of the girls and put them in his pocket.
Originally Posted by ckcowl
twin - full--- longer than normal
make them warm- it gets really really cold- and they are living in tents- (think winters on Mash tv show)
my son in law will be heading out for his 4th deployment in september-
he has memory quilts- with pictures of the girls (3 daughters who didn't want daddy to forget them)
i put the pictures in the center of star blocks (made with thimbleberry (dark) fabrics and outdoorsy flannels
backing camo fabric...his---never leave without it (blanky)
we also made each of the girls a rice bag with a picture of (daddy and girl together) so while he is gone each night they can warm their rice bag and take a nice warm daddy hug to bed with them--- or have a warm daddy hug anytime they need it :) the pictures on the rice bags are ones where he is holding that one child- they are happy- looking at each other---so special! it is always so hard on them when he is gone...the youngest at times has to take her daddy hug to school with her...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM

A picture typical of sleeping arrangements.

This is a mud hut in the mountains of Afghanistan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241565[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241559.jpe