Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help "Silk Tie Quilt" >

Need Help "Silk Tie Quilt"

Need Help "Silk Tie Quilt"

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM

Hello Quilting World...I found the tie quilt pattern..thanks to lovetoquilt...I have to order the book..and i have started collecting silk ties..but my question is...is there a web site that shows how to break down and get the silk ties ready to use in a quilt...I checked some of the web sites and some dont really say much...what is the best thing to use on the backs? out of all the pictures I have seen using silk ties I fell in love with lovetoquilt's quilt...having the fan's and braid around the edge was stunning...Thanks for the help...Nanda
Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

There are some good books out on making quilts from silk ties.

The one I read said to remove the lining first. It's fairly easy to do this by using a seam ripper up the back for a few stitches, starting at the front bottom (wide point) of the tie. Once you have clipped a few threads, you should be able to grip a remaining thread and pull on it to remove all (or almost all) of the remaining thread. Remove the lining.

Next step is to hand wash the ties. I found that the reds can bleed *horribly*. Don't try to machine wash the ties as they will end up a tangled mess.

Next step is to iron a fusible stabilizer on the back. One of the best is fusible nylon tricot (much cheaper ordered online from a drapery company than purchased at JoAnn's).

Only then do you cut out your shapes.

There may be other ways to work with ties. This is just the approach in the book I got.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

i love the look of a silk tie quilt. wish i had a good source of used silk ties. but i don't know anyone who wore suits to work and they seem to be expensive in the GW
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Power Poster

open the seam up the back of the tie- remove the lining- wash the ties- use a lightweight stablizer (a fusable is often used) refold if you want (your pattern needs you to- or use the silk unfolded- you can cut them up- do what you want with them after removing the lining and washing them-
i put mine in a mesh bag and toss them into the washer-they came out fine-
ties are a great source for silk- you get alot of fabric out of one tie - once unfolded they are usually between 54" & 60" long- and the wide end can be 10" wide!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM

I again want to thank you for your responce...I found my ties at GW on a day that is half price...reg. price was $2 so I only paid $1..not a bad price..picked up 21 ties that day and on Oct. 19 they are having half price again..and another thing GW is doing..you have to remind is they stamp your rec. and after 10 you get $10 free..that's 10 more ties for me...I need 191 ties so anything helps..I hope to pick up around 100 in Austin when i deliver a friends quilt..my knee surgery is tomorrow so when i can drive I will be making that trip...I am so excited about making this quilt..Thanks again for the help...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM

i just washed mine whole in the washer and then took them apart. havent made anything with them yet though.