Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help again---- >

Need help again----

Need help again----

Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 AM

I recently received a red fleece throw. It is new and I would like to use it as the backing on a lap quilt. Being red, I know it will have to be washed because of it bleeding. Can I also expect it to shrink? I have never worked with fleece and am hoping it might be large enough to make two. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Marge
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 AM

I use a lot of fleece to make double layer mitts and hats and sometimes put it on the backs of quilts. As fleece is not a plant product, I find that it does not shrink or lose colour. If you are worried, go ahead and wash it first. Some fleece stretches a little more than others so you will have to pin it well before trying to quilt it. It is also heavier than cotton so you may not need batting.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 AM

Agree with previous post. Fleece does stretch and it does not shrink. I have have had anything fade either.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Marge L.
I recently received a red fleece throw. It is new and I would like to use it as the backing on a lap quilt. Being red, I know it will have to be washed because of it bleeding. Can I also expect it to shrink? I have never worked with fleece and am hoping it might be large enough to make two. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Marge
Fleece doesn't shrink because it is a synthetic material. Wash it with a color catcher or 2, but it shouldn't lose color, again because it is synthetic.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 AM

I have had a bright neon pink piece of fleece hanging in an upper story window for at least five years ... no fading. I use it as my design wall on the inside and it keeps us from prying eyes on the outside. I do like curtains, but they don't do the double duty as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

polyester fleece will not bleed or shrink.
is very stretchy...a new needle, slower speed (to help with the stretching) and lots of pins are all you need to use fleece in your quilting projects
Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 AM

I use fleece quite often as the backing--no batting necessary--in baby quilts. I have tied it and quilted it with minor issues. It is stretchy one way so if you pull on the cut edges--it will stretch but not if you pull on the selvages. It doesn't really stretch any more than flannel does, though. Don't pull it as taut when you are sandwiching it would be my advice. Smooth it out, tape it down, spray it with basting spray and lay the top on it. Pin as needed--around the edges is what I do, then tie it or quilt as desired.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 AM

I like fleece to, have made tye blankets. I always dry them on a low temperature setting in dryer because of there nap they dry quickly .
Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM

i also do not think it should shrink