Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help for Best Non-phosphate Detergent for photo fabric use >

Need Help for Best Non-phosphate Detergent for photo fabric use

Need Help for Best Non-phosphate Detergent for photo fabric use

Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Need Help for Best Non-phosphate Detergent for photo fabric use

I have 4 separate yards of 100% cotton fabric with printed images on them from Spoonflower. They must be washed and dried before using in quilts/wall hangings.

Which non-phosphate detergents do you believe are best? Thank you, Yolanda
Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I think I remember from many years ago the mfg. had to take all phosphates out of detergents. That is why they don't clean as well as they once did.
I wash all fabrics and clothing, towels, everything in cold water Tide. Works well for me.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Jingle! I have a bottle of Purex for Baby. The label doesn't say, "no Phosphates" so I called their number and asked. The answer was, "Yes! It does contain phosphates." I did find a product that specifically says, "no phosphates". It is expensive but I did order it from Amazon. Thank you for your input. Yolanda
Old 10-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Phosphates have been banned in laundry detergent in Canada and the United States for decades. Even if the package doesn't say "phosphate free”, it is. The person answering the phone at Purex was misinformed.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:29 AM

I make my own detergent and there is no phosphate in it. There are several recipes for laundry detergents online. Very inexpensive to make. Cost me less than 6 cents per load to make. One batch last me about 18 months. But there is only 2 of us. I am sure you could use just about any detergent that has the basics I would be concerned about the fragrances that are added to many detergents or fabric softeners that some include now.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Jennifer is correct. Phosphates have been banned in laundry and dishwasher detergents for some time.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I make my own detergent and there is no phosphate in it. There are several recipes for laundry detergents online. Very inexpensive to make. Cost me less than 6 cents per load to make. One batch last me about 18 months. But there is only 2 of us. I am sure you could use just about any detergent that has the basics I would be concerned about the fragrances that are added to many detergents or fabric softeners that some include now.
Julia! Thank you for this information. I'm not opposed to making my own detergent and will check out the ways to do it! Thank you for your support and for passing on this information. I am 81 years old and it takes a "nudge" to even think that some things are possible now with all of the on line research possibilities. Yolanda