Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Choosing Fabric Please >

Need Help Choosing Fabric Please

Need Help Choosing Fabric Please

Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by souffoue View Post
I am making my daughter a rag quilt and need help choosing the accompanying fabric. I will post a picture of the focal fabric below. My daughter has requested teal, purple, a little black and cheetah print (I was thinking I could do the border in cheetah print. Thanks so much!!
here are pics of the wall hanging I made for my daughter. she loves it http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t220492.html
Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 AM

bear - the colors might appear a little different in monitors too I am thinking? I wish she liked zebra print - I think that would look good in this quilt!

twinkie, I’m really new to quilting (having only made one rag quilt and that is it), so I’m not sure what you mean by fussy cut.My plan was to do the traditional squareblocks since I have only made one quilt before and I have to get it done in less than a week (my daughter is going on a school trip and I will make it while she is gone and give to her when she gets back).That seems to be our tradition, as the first and only quilt I have made was the rag quilt I made while she was at outdoor school.Anyway, my plan was to do square blocks and have each shoe in its own block (10” squares).I have a couple patterns roughly drawn out, one the fabric is in sort of a diamond pattern …. I keep forgetting to measure the shoes but they are maybe 6” – they fit nicely in a 10” square.Thank you so much for the suggestions!!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
here are pics of the wall hanging I made for my daughter. she loves it http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t220492.html
That is so beautiful!Thanks for sharing it!!My quilt will definitely pale in comparison to your wall hanging!Love the quilting you did.

Since I’m doing a rag quilt with an “x” through the square – I’m not sure what color of thread to be using on the shoe squares – if I use white it will show on the shoe and if I use the color of the shoe, it will show on the white background……..hoping I didn’t bite off more than I can chew!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM

I would sew around the shoe print if worried about that. I would so with the colors she picked for sure. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks sahm4605! I'll do some practice and see how it looks. I don't have much confidence in my sewing/quilting yet and the straight line x's are easy for me hahaha
Old 06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I would sew around the shoe print if worried about that. I would so with the colors she picked for sure. Good luck.
I was just going to suggest that - - -
Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 AM

I would cut the larger shoe fabric into blocks. Then I would make a pieced sashing using the colors with black cornerstones. The smaller shoe print would be the backing. The cheetah print would make a good border. For the Purple & Teal I would use a batik or tone on tone.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Thank you bear :-)

Auntie, thank you for the suggestions! I am so new, I don't even know what pieced sashing is (presume borders??) and I don't know how to do it. I have a six days (I work full time) to get this done so I need to make it as simple as possible for myself. haha
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Auntie, forgot to mention - I don't have enough of the smaller shoe fabric to make it the backing. My daughter requested a minky backing.