Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help deciding a back ground >

Need help deciding a back ground

Need help deciding a back ground

Old 11-26-2014, 06:49 AM

Default Need help deciding a back ground

Hi quilting family! I need help deciding which back ground to use for a baby quilt I'm working on. The colors are pinks and teals. The two back ground colors are a solid pink and the the other is a darker pink with little white swirls going through it. You might not be able to see them in the pics. I put the tumbling blocks on both the fabrics, and I hope you will be able to see enough to help me decide which back ground will look better.
Attached Thumbnails img_0959.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM

The picture is dark. I am going to sound like "Negative Nellie", but I don't see enough contrast in the background fabrics. Of the two, the lighter is definitely better, but not a personal choice I would make. Your piecing is so pretty and unique that I would really think about a contrasting background to allow the 3D blocks to show up better.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Are you appliqueing the blocks to the background fabric? I think the dark pink matches better but the blocks will kind of fade into it. I might go with the lighter pink so the blocks show up better.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:05 AM

Thanks so much for the input Tartan and Barb!! Not a "Negative Nellie" at all Barb! Can you suggest a contrasting color? I have never been very good at matching of colors. That is my big downfall with quilting.

Tartan, I was leaning toward the lighter color myself!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Are you appliqueing the blocks to the background fabric? I think the dark pink matches better but the blocks will kind of fade into it. I might go with the lighter pink so the blocks show up better.
Yes, the blocks will be appliqued to the background. I really didn't want to do it that way but I can't figure out how to piece in other pieces to the sides of the blocks that will not be more tumbling blocks through the entire quilt. If that makes any sense.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM

The way I figure out what fabric to use is to lay the fabrics together and back off about 6 to 10 feet. Sometimes what looks good up close, looks really bad when you back off. Since this is for a baby, I would look for a light print that has either of the colors or both in it. A white with a swirly teal or pink would probably look good. If you have access to a Joan's or Hancock fabrics, take one each of the blocks in and test them with different looks. For a baby, you might want something light, even a white tonal, then surround it with a piano key border with a lot of colors in it or just alternating the colors that are in the blocks. You've got such a good start, that there is so much you can do with it.

Edited to add: Since you are going to applique the blocks down, why not think about adding some little ribbon loops and some other interesting, tactile things for the baby to play with? I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 AM

Oh, I love your ideas Barb! I do have a Joanns and a Hancock close by. I am going to look for a white with a swirly color and the piano key border is something I've used before. My problem is solved!
Thanks so much!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
The picture is dark. I am going to sound like "Negative Nellie", but I don't see enough contrast in the background fabrics. Of the two, the lighter is definitely better, but not a personal choice I would make. Your piecing is so pretty and unique that I would really think about a contrasting background to allow the 3D blocks to show up better.
this was my first thought as well
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 AM

I agree with a lighter background for contrast. A lighter pink, or think about auditioning a pale grey--pinks and greys look good together. It will be cute!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Thank you all! I just knew I could find help and get the answers I need from this board!! Just love it, love it, love it here!