Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help deciding on machine... >

Need help deciding on machine...

Need help deciding on machine...

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 AM
anonymous

My friend and I both traded our 6600 in for the 8900 and in some ways I still like the 6600 better. It could be that I am just more used to it. I live in northern Indiana, and I know my dealer has many 6600's for sale that were trade-in's for trade-ups. Definitely check out used machines.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:06 AM

If you have a Singer dealer near you, have a look at the S18. It is made by Janome for Singer and is the same machine as the Janome 6500P for a little less money. It has the larger harp space, needle down, thread cut, tons of stitches, many dedicated for quilting and so far it's been fantastic. My only complaint is that the light is only on one side of the needle so I had to get an accessory lamp, but that's pretty minor. Anyhow, if you're looking at the Janome, you might consider the Singer as it's the same machine.

Watson
Old 01-18-2016, 05:18 AM

I'm sorry to say, but under $400 will not buy a machine with the longer throat, unless its a used machine. I have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, it has a 10" throat and built in walking foot. It's wonderful for all my quilting/sewing. I am a quilter and also make garments and bags.
Sharon in Texas
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I have the Janome 6600. It's wonderful. I purchased mine used from a dealer, but have since seen several used on Craigslist for as low as $725. I've quilted up to a double sized quilt on mine.
My 1st janome I purchased from a dealer at the Houston quilt show. It was one that classes were taught on at the show. Got it for half price. And I have quilted a king size on it. That one was a 6500 now have a 6600p. Love my janome.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I love my Baby Lock machines but they are much higher in price.

If you are looking for a quilting machine, you may give the straight-stitch machines a look. Brother and Juki have those and you get high speed, large throat, built-in scissors, needle up-down. They are work horses with relatively large bobbins but they do like their oil. You will not get any frills.

When I was in the market, I made a list of MUST HAVE features and a list of BE NICE TO HAVEs. Then I compared different brands and models. Test driving is super important. And have fun!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:02 PM

I agree, a good secondhand machine may be the way for you to get closer to all the features you want. Having said that I would advise caution in buying secondhand privately. If you buy secondhand through a dealer/LQS you will get back up and support. I bought my secondhand Bernina privately and whilst I love the machine to bits I have struggled to learn all its complexities even with you tube and internet. I did pay for some classes at a local (not so local) dealer but they were a bit "ho hum" with me as I hadn't purchased from them and I don't know that I got any real value for my class cost. In my case it has very much been a lonesome, learn by error journey learning how to use and care for my 710.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 PM

I bought a Janome DC 1050 four years ago and used it a lot. Paid $299 from Mr. vac and Mrs Sew online. They have great customer service. It was all I wanted to spend until I found out whether quilting was a new hobby that would "stick". I have a reputation for being a crash and burn hobbyist, but quilting is an obsession after 4 years! That one has needle up/down, auto threader (though it's junky IMO) , a bazillion stitches I never used, not a large throat (wont find that in your budget). It was smooth and sweet. I still have it. I decided that Janome is my kind of machine, so I saved up and saved up for the 8200 with my part time $$. Then my sweet hubby gave it to me for my 50th bday this past August and I love,love,love It! He conceded that quilting had "stuck"! And I still have all the $$ I had saved up!

My second favorite brand is Brother. You can get a Project Runway model I think in your budget? I bought my DIL one new at a yard sale for $75. After trying it out, I wanted to keep it but that wouldn't be very nice of me, would it? I found it to feel sturdier than the Janome 1050, but stitched equally well, and no up/down needle or auto threadervif I'm remembering right.

Last edited by zozee; 01-18-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM

A few weeks ago I bought a Brother SQ9185 from Walmart for $200.00. Not a large harp but I have quilted a twin size quilt on it--just straight stitch, haven't tried FMG yet. It has needle down which I wanted, needle threader but I haven't used it, sews a lovely stitch and has lots of decorative stitches and a drop in bobbin.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:45 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I am still looking and the more I look the more my head spins! I am not sure if I just want a cheaper model for now and in a few years I can buy what I really need, or I find should save up and get sort of what I need. Every time I think I might have a decision I see another model I might like...lol.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Oh and the baby lock that I tried was the melody. It sewed like a dream and had all kinds of features that I didn't even know I would want. I have been trying to look for a comparable brother model if possible.