Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help with Dresden plate

Blog Entries
    Yes, accuracy is very important. I took a BOM class where we made "plate" blocks. The first month, we all laughed after seeing each others blocks (or hats as the instructor called them).
    The 1/4" seam was key.

After several months, we got our blocks flat and our 1/4" seams perfect!!

This was a great class to learn accurate stitching.

Good Luck !

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by betty jo
    I have recently made (2) Dresden Plates and for some reason when I finish the plate it will not lay flat and I have to go back and adjust several seams. Please tell what I'm doing wrong. I am using the Easy Dresden plate template by Darlene Zimmerman; trying to keep 1/4" seams, etc. and I cannot figure out my problem. I have watched tutorials on DP and they don't mention this problem..thanks for any info you have.
    If you've cut it right and sewn it correctly, then it should lay flat. Just a thread difference in each of those cuts and/or seams can add up to the plate not laying flat.

Accuracy and attention to detail are critical!

Are'nt you supposed to press your seams open on a dresdan plate? I always do, and theres a certain way to stitch them together also. Make them in sections, till you have 2 halves then sew the halves together. When you are sewing the blades together, you need to start at the end that is the widest, and dont start stitching right at the edge of your fabric, I start about 1/4 inch down then back stitch to the edge, then continue stitching. That way there are no threads sticking up and showing from the front of your plate. Can you tell I have made several of these?? Its a learning process. Hope this helps.

I just steam the heck out of them and then cover with the center circle. Sometimes I make the center circle a little bigger than Zimmerman suggests. Usually works!

Blog Entries
    I heard of some sort of mallet that you use to whack the center of certain patterns to make them lay flat when there are a lot of seams that come together. Do you think this would help. I would NOT use a hammer from the basement (LOL). It would have to be at least a wooden mallet that is a bit wide.

I don't know the name of the one that I read about, and I think I read about it here on the board a long while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    Are'nt you supposed to press your seams open on a dresdan plate? I always do, and theres a certain way to stitch them together also. Make them in sections, till you have 2 halves then sew the halves together. When you are sewing the blades together, you need to start at the end that is the widest, and dont start stitching right at the edge of your fabric, I start about 1/4 inch down then back stitch to the edge, then continue stitching. That way there are no threads sticking up and showing from the front of your plate. Can you tell I have made several of these?? Its a learning process. Hope this helps.
    I get 2 different opinions on pressing open or all in same direction. Will try your idea on the sewing together. thanks for your time & info.

Blog Entries
    Always a good refresher course though.

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    No arrow, but a line at the top of the template for each size you want to cut. I put the 6" line on the edge of my material and still a problem. It's for sure I'm doing something correctly
    if you are familiar with bias,straight of grain,lengthwise grain,etc
    you can ignore this link:

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/p/fabricgrain.htm

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    I heard of some sort of mallet that you use to whack the center of certain patterns to make them lay flat when there are a lot of seams that come together. Do you think this would help. I would NOT use a hammer from the basement (LOL). It would have to be at least a wooden mallet that is a bit wide.

I don't know the name of the one that I read about, and I think I read about it here on the board a long while ago.
    I have seen a mallet you are talking about but I don't wacking would help mine, the blades are just too wide in a few places to lay flat so I have to adjust my seam a little

The same happened to me and it turned out my seams were not a quarter in so I bought a quarter inch foot with a guide and they turn out perfectly now so maybe you could a quarter inch foot

Quote Originally Posted by patty04
    The same happened to me and it turned out my seams were not a quarter in so I bought a quarter inch foot with a guide and they turn out perfectly now so maybe you could a quarter inch foot
    I was using a 1/4" foot with guide but haven't checked it to see if it is accurate, good idea; thanks for helping

The Dresden Plate was my first lap quilt. Press your seams as you sew them all in the same direction. Also check out your 1/4 " foot, sometimes they are not accurate. I'm sure you will be OK with the quilt. I loved making mine. Happy Quilting!

I had the same problem with my first one. I was cutting with the straight of grain down the center of the template. Woops! Should have read the directions first. Cut with the straight of grain down one side of the template so you are only cutting & sewing one bias edge to one straight-grain edge. Worked much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
    I had the same problem with my first one. I was cutting with the straight of grain down the center of the template. Woops! Should have read the directions first. Cut with the straight of grain down one side of the template so you are only cutting & sewing one bias edge to one straight-grain edge. Worked much better.
    Guess I'm a little dense today, but with the way my template slants on both sides I don't see how I can get one side on the straight of grain, please explain a little more. thanks

Ironing has always shrunk the poly fibers it really does
    affect quilting most because it gets ironed several times per block

Beat them to death with your iron, and bury them with starch

I know you said you've watched many tutorials, but have you watched the one by Missouri Star Quilting Company:

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt.../4/lcy_p4pryE4

Quote Originally Posted by matraina
    I know you said you've watched many tutorials, but have you watched the one by Missouri Star Quilting Company:

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt.../4/lcy_p4pryE4
    I have watched that one many times and she has no problem with hers laying flat; I like that lady on MS, she is good,,I really think I'm stretching mine more than I think, but will keep trying. I have gotten so many good helpful info from the Board and I appreciate every one. thank you !!

I just finished one that I made using EPP and when I first lay it down it wouldn't lay flat. So I carefully pressed and now it is as flat as a pancake. The other one I made, my first I used the tutorial on Missouri Quilt Co, absolutely the best tutorial on Dresden ever, and it too was a little wavy when I first lay it down, but then after several pressings it was nice and flat. Attention to detail is really important in doing a Dresden, no fudging 'cause it will show. Other than diligent pressing I'm at a loss at what the problem could be.

They are so beautiful so stick with it, you'll find the right way to get them the way you want and will love them.

Blog Entries
    When I am making Dresens, I use a heavy spray of sizing so everything is rigid, then I cut the 'blades' out. I have much less adjusting, when I do this.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    I just finished one that I made using EPP and when I first lay it down it wouldn't lay flat. So I carefully pressed and now it is as flat as a pancake. The other one I made, my first I used the tutorial on Missouri Quilt Co, absolutely the best tutorial on Dresden ever, and it too was a little wavy when I first lay it down, but then after several pressings it was nice and flat. Attention to detail is really important in doing a Dresden, no fudging 'cause it will show. Other than diligent pressing I'm at a loss at what the problem could be.

They are so beautiful so stick with it, you'll find the right way to get them the way you want and will love them.
    Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.

[Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.
    EPP = English Paper Piecing

I had that problem once. I think my zigzag stitch was too short and too wide. It seemed to pucker slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee

Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to be misleading. It is when you sew fabric around a precut piece of paper or card stock using a basting stitch. Then you sew all the blades together using a whip stitch, press the Dresden and then remove the basting stitches and the paper/card stock. The templates can be used over and over. I like it because it is fun, I can do it in the evening while I watch TV with my DH and it creates beautiful projects. But as to your original concern I still urge gentle repeat pressing to get your plate to lie flat.

if you are doing full 1/4" seams and using the Easy Dresden you might have to add a extra blade. I found this to be true when making my Dresden Plate. just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by joycet
    if you are doing full 1/4" seams and using the Easy Dresden you might have to add a extra blade. I found this to be true when making my Dresden Plate. just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    I appreciate your 2 cents worth and all the other who have sent suggestions to help solve this problem. Will tackle another one when I finish this one. have a bless day

I'm so glad I found this link. I had the same problem with a Dresden Plate I made two days ago...really thought i had been careful with my 1/4" seams. Anyway, the ring was a tad bigger around the middle than the outer edges, so it was kind of wrinkley. Although all the hints are useful, the idea of assembling quarters and then squaring them up sounds like it will make it foolproof.

Thank you all!
    marcia

To be a good sewer, you have to be a good ripper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2