Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help figuring out size please! >

Need help figuring out size please!

Need help figuring out size please!

Old 07-17-2020, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

For squares cut into triangles - I have finally learned to always cut the original square a bit larger than the theoretical required size.

I have no idea of why my units always end up skimpy when I cut the starting square the theoretical size. Even when I narrow the seam allowance to a scant 3/16 instead of a 1/4 inch - the units end up skimpy.

So - I would much rather trim a tiny bit from the unit than have to pitch the whole unit because it was too small.

If I cut triangles individually, they usually work up to the desired size.

I think part of that is - when I cut with a ruler, the piece is a tiny bit larger than the "nominal" size.

Example: I am cutting what I call a 2.5 inch square with a ruler. It's actually a tiny bit larger than 2.5 inches - maybe only a thread width or so, but it does make a difference.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:13 PM

So glad to see the solution to your question. This board is full of such helpful quilters. Math is not my strong suite & I love it when someone can come along & tell me how to do something. Thanks to all who contributed to Susie's question!!!
Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Just checking back in to see if you had responded - sorry that I misunderstood what you were trying to do. My only addition to all that great info that bearisgray and Iceblossom gave you is not to skimp on those triangles (imho). Depending on how you are setting the blocks, I tend to to try and cut them so that the outer edges of the corners are on the straight of the goods. That would mean using two 9 3/8 inch squares each cut once on the diagonal. That being said, I always cut them a minimum of 1/2 inch larger that what is called for (in this case about 10"). I match and pin the center points before sewing. This gives me a little extra wiggle room on the outside when I trim up the block.
Betty, I totally agree. Better too large than too small. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Thanks again, everyone!!