Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a pattern for this fabric please.

Need help finding a pattern for this fabric please.

I've had this fabric for quite some time and want to make a QOV with it but I am not very good a choosing a pattern. Could someone please help me. Thanks.

Name:  quv fabric.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  782.5 KB
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

Beautiful fabric. I would add more if possible and use whatever pattern I like. That being said---you could use the print like a panel in the middle and add friendship stars all around it if I were limited to just what you are showing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Maybe throw some solids like the blue and beige/tan (not sure of background on red and blue stars fabric).
    Or a muted red color coordinated. Beautiful fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
    Beautiful fabric. I would add more if possible and use whatever pattern I like. That being said---you could use the print like a panel in the middle and add friendship stars all around it if I were limited to just what you are showing.

It depends on what patterns you like to make. I would add a couple of other prints and do a MSQC Falling Charms. If you added a red that would match the collection, you could also do a Warm Wishes pattern. Both are free along with being quick and easy and can be found on the internet.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would make something that requires only 3 fabrics. BQ is one that would work and it can be a 9 or 18 inch block so it is very quick. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...F-8&n=60&x=wrt

Another is the Warm Wishes block. You can use a focus fabric for it and 2 other colors to do the alternate block. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...k&fr=yfp-t-901
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I agree with above posts, something that you wouldn't have to cut that fabric on the right too small because of the wording on it. It could be your focus fabric. I like those BQ ones, never tried those, but also like warm wishes and falling charms, have done those, they go together pretty easy and quickly.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

How much do you have of each fabric? If you want to make a quick quilt, I would use the one on the right as a center panel, then do a thin border of red, then a wider border of the tan and stars, another thin red border, then the blue back ground for another border and then bind it all with the red. To quilt I would then consider stars of various sizes all over the place.

Google "quilts of valor" and check out the awesome quilts!!! That should give you some inspiration!

I recently made a QOV, using the BQ3 pattern because I have the same fabric on the right with the words on it. Wanting to avoid cutting it up too much, I used it as the focus print. The pattern called for 12.5 inch squares, just perfect for that fabric. The other two fabrics would be excellent for the remaining pieces in the block, which is about 18 inches square.

Beautiful fabric but I would add a solid (red, navy or cream). The only pattern that came to mind where the fabric would be cut in larger pieces is the puzzle quilt pattern.

Name:  Red puzzle quilt.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  Fall puzzle quilt.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  96.3 KB

I agree!! This is a great place to find a great quilt for those great fabrics!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    Google "quilts of valor" and check out the awesome quilts!!! That should give you some inspiration!

I thought "Warm Wishes" right off... with the big print as the center squares and then something like 'blue stars, white stars, blue stars' for the three strips that go around/between them. You can do WW with only 3 fabrics.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ooh! I love your fabric. I agree that Warm Wishes would be great. Even a large square 9 patch with the fabric on the left as the center square. Sometimes simple is best.
    Shirley in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I thought "Warm Wishes" right off... with the big print as the center squares and then something like 'blue stars, white stars, blue stars' for the three strips that go around/between them. You can do WW with only 3 fabrics.
    I can see this really looking good. Warm Wishes is a pattern that is free online. You should be able to find it easily if you decide that is the one you want. I love your fabric and it will make a great quilt!

I am going to attach a picture of one of my Warm Wishes, in case a visual would help you decide.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Use the bold print for the border and the other two into simple traditional block......

How about a disappearing 9 patch or rail fence? We have used those patterns for our QOV group.

I would add a red fabric too. I think sawtooth stars with the large print on the right side of your photo would look good in the center square. I'd have the white star print for the background, blue and red for the star points. I make quilts for wounded soldiers at Ft. Hood.
    I was using up some of my smaller scraps for the blocks in the center of the star. The centers are 3" and the entire star is 9".
    Sharon in Texas
    ps here's a photo of a Friendship star quilt of valor: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/12054999724/in/album-72157635394061329/

Last edited by purplefiend; 05-16-2015 at 01:20 PM.

There are patterns on the QOV website.

webfabrics.net has lots of patriotic quilts in todays newsletter. Hope you can find it.
    All my grand-children have paws.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Am looking at the Warm Wishes will show it when I finish. Thanks again for the help.
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

I am developing a close relationship with an old pattern that I just discovered. It is easy to make and can be so many different things depending on fabric choice and positioning.
    I don't know the name of it, if it even has one. It is simply alternating a large block with a 4 patch block. I have just made a table runner doing it in scrappy, and am working on a purple quilt using 4 fabrics. However, it would also look great with your large print as the big squares and your other two in the 4 patch. The 4 patches when done in just 2 fabrics make a kind of Irish Chain effect. I did the table runner on point, but the quilt will be straight so the 4 patches will angle across the quilt. I did the runner at 10 1/2" squares and 5 1/2" squares; the quilt is 8 1/2" and 4 1/2".
    Photo of the table runner attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

That would be pretty in a carpenters star pattern.
    Jeanie

Blog Entries
    your fabrics are beautiful , look like a fourth of July theme maybe some chickens and roosters, like a wall hanging quilt for kitchen or dinning room decor that would look very nice in your colors and more color fabrics for theme ,there did you buy them i love the printed one on right end
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

I bought these pieces together about 3 years ago at a fabric sale at Springs Industries. I hope to start work on the quilt soon. Am trying to make all veterans in my church a QOV by Veteran's Day. (25) I am now quite half way there so I really have to get busy.
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I am developing a close relationship with an old pattern that I just discovered. It is easy to make and can be so many different things depending on fabric choice and positioning.
    I don't know the name of it, if it even has one. It is simply alternating a large block with a 4 patch block. I have just made a table runner doing it in scrappy, and am working on a purple quilt using 4 fabrics. However, it would also look great with your large print as the big squares and your other two in the 4 patch. The 4 patches when done in just 2 fabrics make a kind of Irish Chain effect. I did the table runner on point, but the quilt will be straight so the 4 patches will angle across the quilt. I did the runner at 10 1/2" squares and 5 1/2" squares; the quilt is 8 1/2" and 4 1/2".
    Photo of the table runner attached.
    Actually this is the pattern I was going to suggest, but I call it the "Quilts for Kids" pattern...it's basically alternate blocks of focus fabric and four-patch squares. You could use the star fabrics in the four patch and the print for the focus fabric. Good luck. There have been a lot of ideas that would work.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast