Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help finding a quilt pattern

Need help finding a quilt pattern

Hi,

My mom and I have been asked to make a quilt for a quilt raffle for the VFW. I found this quilt on Bed, Bath and Beyond's website that I love and think would be perfect. I was wondering if anyone has an idea where I could find a quilt pattern for it. I could probably figure out the blocks around the perimeter on my own if I had to, but I have no idea how to make the starburst design in the center. (I would not make it with the embroidered flowers)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...FYJxOgodtzoALA

Thank you!
    Susan

That's a giant hunters star I think there's lots of patterns out for it
    *Rachel*

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Go to QUILTS GALORE and you can also google free quilt patterns. I'd be careful about making one exactly like the bbandb . Copywright laws. Change it up a notch and make it your own.

It looks like a Broken Star pattern. There are lots of patterns on web-- May I suggest that you look at Missouri Star Quilt Co.? Fun stuff!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Or does it look like a Carpenters Star?
    As long as we live, there is never enough singing. Martin Luther

Kind of looks like a carpenters' star, but may be a lone star variation.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Well we all know it is a star and I am sure by googling that will bring you so many ideas and choices. Good luck and happy quilting.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Looks like you have lots of options! Pick the one you like and go for it.

Looks like a carpenter's star to me...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the replies. I showed a friend who told me it’s a Carpenter Star and she sent me this link to how to do it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t152544.html

However, the pics of the Carpenters Star blocks that I have found on the web all have a single “layer” to the inside star and the outside star. In this picture, there appears to be two “layers” to each the inner and outer star: one in 2 shades of red and one in 2 shades of blue. Anyone know how to get that extra depth to the star?

tessagin, good advice. I want to make sure I do something diff. enough that I am not copying bb&b.

Thanks!
    Susan

Blog Entries
    Looks like a Carpenters Star to me, although there are diamonds in the star pattern so it my be a Lone or 'Broken' Star Star. They are similar looking patterns. Any of them would be a great choice for a raffle quilt.
    Good luck with the raffle,
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

It is also similar to a Dutch Rose.

carpenter's Star with 2 layers

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltBySusan View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of the replies. I showed a friend who told me it’s a Carpenter Star and she sent me this link to how to do it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t152544.html

However, the pics of the Carpenters Star blocks that I have found on the web all have a single “layer” to the inside star and the outside star. In this picture, there appears to be two “layers” to each the inner and outer star: one in 2 shades of red and one in 2 shades of blue. Anyone know how to get that extra depth to the star?

tessagin, good advice. I want to make sure I do something diff. enough that I am not copying bb&b.

Thanks!
    Susan
    I have designed a pattern with the 2nd layer. If you would like can send you a copy, please pm me. Renda

Hi,

My mom and I have been asked to make a quilt for a quilt raffle for the VFW. I found this quilt on Bed, Bath and Beyond's website that I love and think would be perfect. I was wondering if anyone has an idea where I could find a quilt pattern for it. I could probably figure out the blocks around the perimeter on my own if I had to, but I have no idea how to make the starburst design in the center. (I would not make it with the embroidered flowers)

Thank you!
    Susan
    It's a simplified Broken Star. The stars usually have 16 pieces in each diamond. This quilt only has four large pieces in the diamonds instead of 16. About halfway down the page at the website is a layout of the broken star. http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Em...s/8PS/8ps.html

Hi,

Thank you!
    Susan
    That pattern is the Broken Star pattern. I made one and it is easy to cut out, easy to sew and easy to quilt. Good luck.

Check out Debbie Maddy's site at http://www.calicocarriage.com. She has a Broken Star and Carpenter's Wheel pattern that uses no Y-seams. Goes together quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmama22 View Post
    Check out Debbie Maddy's site at http://www.calicocarriage.com. She has a Broken Star and Carpenter's Wheel pattern that uses no Y-seams. Goes together quickly.
    Oh, I like that - love star quilts and been looking for one to do. Thanks for sharing!

Love the looks of that quilt and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I know it'll look wonderful!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. It’s hard to see where you’re going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Looks like a carpenter's Star to me too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmama22 View Post

I have taken two workshops from Debbie Maddy. I made her Evening Star quilt in one day. It's super easy and no set in seems or diamonds. She is a terrific instructor.
    Got fabric?

Which quilt is it?