Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with flannel raggy baby quilts >

Need help with flannel raggy baby quilts

Need help with flannel raggy baby quilts

Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 AM

I have been making flannel raggy baby quilts using flannels purchased at Wal-Mart (yes my local store still has fabric), a local craft store, Hobby Lobby, and the local quilt store. The flannel from Wal-Mart does not seem to be as good quality as the ones from Hobby Lobby or the quilt store because it pils (spelling?) when washed. I am making the quilts to sell so I want them to look good but I also try to keep my costs down so I don't have to charge as much. The wal-Mart fabric is much less expensive ($2 to $7 per yard less). Does anyone have any advice? I may just have to stop using the less expensive flannel but was hoping someone out there might have an idea for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Flannel quilts usually have 3 layers of flannel. You could use the flannel that pills for the center, and the nicer flannel on the outsides :D:D:D
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM

I agree with the above poster, use the inexpensive flannel for the middle layer. Ive made a lot of these in doll size,sold a few, I love making them. Sometimes I use flannel in the middle and cotton for the front and back, just love those colors and patterns that you can get with cotton :-)
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the comments previously posted. The one Wal-Mart that is about 30 miles from me has very nice flannel. The other fabric is not so great, but I really like the flannel.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 AM

I have been told ragg quilts are not the best for baby quilts.
With all the threads this makes them a choking hazard.
I believe good quality fabrics should be used at all times.
Especially if you are making a quilt for sale. People want a good quality product that will hold up after numerous washings.
Using cheap/poor quality fabrics will not sell.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM

I agree with the comments here except for one...the last sentence is, I believe, incorrect....I think cheap/poor quality fabrics will sell... once...and no more. So if you're wanting to maintain a business, you need to consider the importance of repeat customers, and better quality fabrics are the key to that.

also, I've made good rag quilts with only two layers of good flannel and a square of batting in the center - would that be cheaper than multiple layers of flannel?

Originally Posted by pieces
I have been told ragg quilts are not the best for baby quilts.
With all the threads this makes them a choking hazard.
I believe good quality fabrics should be used at all times.
Especially if you are making a quilt for sale. People want a good quality product that will hold up after numerous washings.
Using cheap/poor quality fabrics will not sell.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 AM

I also would find another type of quilt to sell as baby quilts. Rag quilts are dangerous.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Flannel quilts usually have 3 layers of flannel. You could use the flannel that pills for the center, and the nicer flannel on the outsides :D:D:D
I would be careful of that as I imagine that the cheap flannel will shrink more than the good flannel and might make the quilt look funny.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

using the lesser quality fabric in the center of your squares would work; being a lower quality it will fray well. use the best you can afford for the outsides. and make them big enough for kids over 3 years old...younger than that is a definite choking hazard. you do not want to be tracked down some time down the road to be informed your 'baby-quilt' was the cause of loosing baby!
rag quilts are NOT FOR BABIES!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 AM

Thank for all the info. I have made several for babies and never had anyone concerned about the choking hazard but I will certainly consider that. I make them large enough for young children so I can still make them, just not for babies.