Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with FMQ >

Need Help with FMQ

Need Help with FMQ

Old 06-14-2022, 12:51 PM

Default Need Help with FMQ

I'm still learning FMQ. Using a open toe spring action foot and no visual problem traveling forward and sideways, but try to traverse backward I can't see where I'm going. Am I explaining my question? Most of the time I am trying to travel back in a straight line or follow where I've been, but I can't see where I've been. I'm open to all suggestions/advice Please.

Last edited by rvsfan; 06-14-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:07 PM

Turn the fabric around so you can move forward instead of trying to move backwards. One of the beauties of FMQ is that you can turn the fabric any way you want.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:58 PM

Another thing you can do is not sit directly in front of the needle. If you need to see behind the foot you can shift to a slight angle- that's what I do when FMQing on my domestics.

Rob
Old 06-15-2022, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I avoided straight lines until I purchased a ruler foot and rulers. It helps to look where you want to quilt rather then looking right at the needle.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:34 PM

I second the suggestion from Tartan that you use a ruler foot and rulers to get a straight line, **especially** when you cannot easily see where you are going!

But Cashs Mom raises an excellent point...at any time in FMQ on a domestic, you can stop needle down and reposition the quilt.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:48 PM

All of your suggestions and ideas are so welcome and so simple I feel pretty dumb, why didn’t I think of any of those ideas!! I can’t wait to get over this migraine and back to my sewing machine. Thanks to all of you.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:34 AM

When a simple answer stares you in the face, it’s hard to see. We need curtains hung. The wood framing is different in this cinder block house. There must be an easy solution, just can’t see it.