Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Lengthening a Quilt >

Need Help Lengthening a Quilt

Need Help Lengthening a Quilt

Old 06-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I add either another border, blocks top and bottom, pinwheel blocks, 4 patch blocks, a strip top and bottom of piano key borders, whatever to make it the length or width I want it to be.

Very pretty quilts Snooze.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Snooze, your quilts are beautiful!!!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Suz, all lovely quilts and so creative in using different methods of extension. Think most of us are very impressed!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM

Thanks all for your kind words. I tend to try to use up all the scraps from the quilt so I try to come up with different ideas. On the blue/yellow log cabin quilt I took more of the diamond blocks and added them to the backing to use them up. We all know how scraps multiply so quickly so any ways I can use them up, I do.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Libits View Post
My ex-husband is next on my quilt list (he’s already been on my other list which is why he’s my ex but we’re good friends).

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-...colorful-steps
This gave me a good chuckle to start out my day. :-). On a side note, :-). the Colorful-steps is a rail fence pattern. All you need to do is make more blocks and add them to the bottom until you get the desired length. Even though you think it is wide enough, I might add to the side also so the quilt it is in proportion to the length.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM

The blocks are really simple. They finish at 9 inches square and have 3 finished 3x9 inch pieces to each block, with the neutral being the center strip. I drew the quilt out in EQ7 and added a 1" sashing, just as a blank area so you can see how the blocks go together and which colors go where. There is no sashing in the quilt as shown for free on the website. If I were making this quilt, I would count all the similar colored blocks and make them as per the count.
Attached Thumbnails colorful-steps-bhd-version.bmp  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM

I am with Ellen 1 and Barb in Louisiana, just make extra rows. I did one with just 4 colors, 4 strips in each block turning them as pictured. Depending on the size I either made it with 1 yard of each fabric or 1.25 yards of fabric. Usually able to have enough left over for the binding which was a combination of all 4 fabrics in the quilt.