Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with method for marking dark quilt for hand quilting >

Need help with method for marking dark quilt for hand quilting

Need help with method for marking dark quilt for hand quilting

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM

From Don-isewman.. I'm a hand quilter also. I have these marking pencils. Lt blue-lt gray-drk gray-white, and of course the wash out blue marking pens. If you want I can send you a couple lt gray pencils. Send me a email back sometime, if you want to try them. There a chalk pencil called--"Generals multipastel chalk pencils. Don
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM

I use plain old school chalks.I buy a box of multi colored to work on all colors
Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 PM

I use white soap slivers also. Been wondering if I could use Dial soap for marking on white, or maybe other colored soap.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM

The silver Berol marking pencil will work on almost all colors and comes out very well . I have also used F&P silver or white marking pencil and after you finish quilting it rubs off , it also has an eraser on the end to erase the markings.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x View Post
Sew Line pencils would work for you as well. They come in lots of colors, so you could get white for the dark fabrics and blue for the lighter fabrics. Whatever you use, don't use much of it as you want it all to come out.
The pink color has worked very well for me on dark blocks!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM

It's not a good idea to quilt from the back. I use a white Clover marker, and I can see the lines perfectly. Note that if you use that marker, it takes a couple of seconds for the lines to appear after you draw them. Chalk is good also, but it rubs off, so it's best used in small areas with marking as you quilt. You can also ask the group Celebrate Hand Quilting on Facebook or get information off our blog http://celebratehandquilting.blogspot.com/ . This is a community of quilters who mostly are hand quilters... over 500 of them, from all over the world.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM

Could you give us a specific name brand for the artist's water soluable crayons so we can search on google where to purchase them? Did you purchase them at a name brand store or artist supply or what?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 PM

I wonder if the artist's chalk pencils sold in the craft section of Wal Mart would work. I recall several colors being in a package. That would be cheaper than purchasing an individual pencil at the quilt store. Has anyone tried using them?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by cstout View Post
I wonder if the artist's chalk pencils sold in the craft section of Wal Mart would work. I recall several colors being in a package. That would be cheaper than purchasing an individual pencil at the quilt store. Has anyone tried using them?
I just use regular stick chalk...rubs right out
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM

I use Roxanne's white and silver pencils. However, I plan to use the fine blue pen on my next quilt. Sewline pencils are great for marking as you go, but if you mark an entire quilt with them, it will rub off before your get far on your quilt. I know from experience. Masking tape or blue painters tape works well when marking short lines, but not so great when marking long lines -- again my own experience. I have not used the washable crayons, but I bought some to try. I've heard good things about them. whatever you use try it out on scrap fabric to make sure it will wash out. I suggest you find a white chalk pencil -- Roxanne, Nonce, Prismacolor -- to mark the dark fabric. You can use a mechanical pencil, a graphite marker, or the blue pen to mark the light. It takes longer to switch colors, but I can promise you time spent in marking properly saves quilting time and frustration.