Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help - most neutral white Grunge? >

Need help - most neutral white Grunge?

Need help - most neutral white Grunge?

Old 02-18-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Need help - most neutral white Grunge?

My daughter has asked me to make 2 different quilts for her kids' room. They will both be in red, black and white - likely the same mix of fabrics but 2 different patterns. The room is a "greige" color and she might incorporate a bit of burlap for the infant son but not overly much. Right now we are looking at a variety of reds (such as Wilmington Ruby Days) but are thinking we might want the black and the white to have a bit of tonal/texture instead of just stark bright solids. We both love grunge, so I'm thinking onyx for the black. But I need help with the white. I've used several of the grunge whites but there are so many. Which of the grunge basics (not metallic, stars or spots) whites is the most neutral that would go well with these colors? Computer (tablet, phone) screens all vary so greatly and the colors do not offer descriptions of the colors that are blended into each one. I don't want to purchase several yards of a white only to find it has light blue in it or something similar. I know "fog" has gray as the mixed color, but it is too much contrast. We are looking for something that reads basically white but has a bit of texture - but doesn't add some random color that clashes with the red and black. I hope that makes sense. Any grunge experts out there who can help me? Thanks so much in advance!

Lisa
Old 02-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

If this is for a kids' room, maybe think of light "grays" instead of " whites"?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 AM

I love the grunge line, but would hesitate to buy them unseen. There are so many 'tones' to each different one at least in *my* mind I'd hate to get warm tones when cool ones look better. Granted I am a nut about color! Having said all that the "White Paper" looks to be fairly low contrast?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 PM

What is grunge? Am i missing something I need to know about?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
What is grunge? Am i missing something I need to know about?
Moda has come out with numerous lines of "Grunge" which are blender fabrics - some with only color washes, some with metallic accents, etc. I've used them in several projects, I love their color sense!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:52 PM

This website carries the entire line of grunge, arranged in thumbnails so you can view them all at a glance and compare.

It looks like they sell either FQ or yards. I bought a bunch of fat quarters from them recently because I was trying to find the correct rust color. I asked if they would label them so I could tell one from the other, but I got the impression from the look of the labels that labeling is routine. If you don't want to buy some FQ, you might try emailing and asking particular questions about some of the shades. It's possible they would send swatches. If not, Fat Quarter Shop is willing to send a limited number of swatches if you can narrow them down to three or four; they carry a good assortment of Grunge.

https://webfabrics.net/cgi-bin/Store...oda-grunge-all
Old 02-19-2020, 08:03 AM

To my eye Vanilla is the most neutral.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:11 AM

I've got a color card with actual samples of all the Grunges. "Composition White" #30150 356 looks like the most neutral to me, but it doesn't have any other color to it. "White Paper" #30150 101 has some grey texture to it. All of the Grunge "whites" look quite creamy yellow-ish. There's a super light "Grey Paper" #30150 360 that might be another option. If you can go to a quilt shop that carries Moda fabric, they should have a color card for you to look at. They could probably even order the one you want.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:25 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help, I do appreciate it. You're such a helpful bunch! :-)

Joe'smom - thank you, that website is a great resource!

quiltedsunshine - thank you so much for the info. I wondered about the composition as it looked plain white on my screens, but thought it weird they call it grunge if no colors blended in. I have a bit of 108" white paper and it also seems to have some tan-ish color in it, but I will audition it with the red and black once I get them to be sure. will look into grey paper as well. The closest shop that carries Moda is an hour away and their selection was rather small. I truly appreciate your help!

Lisa
Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 AM

I love the grunge fabrics but you are right-there are many ways to see the white. Some of the whites have a hint of grey in them. The grunge fabrics are lovely to work with too and make great blenders