Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help for new sewer >

Need help for new sewer

Need help for new sewer

Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by pianolady
I guess I have been sleeping, but what is PM?
Just sent you a Private msg.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Great Idea. Where do we send the 6 inch squares?

I was "adopted" ten years ago by an artist. She had no idea of how to piece a quilt, but she had an incredible sense of design and color. To start she cut the size batting she wanted, put it on a flat surface and then began to cut ( never measure) pieces to form either "visually balanced" geometric quilts or picture quilts.

The pieces were blind-stitched directly on the batting (turning under a 1/4 inch seam). When the top design was finished a back was added then all the individual pieces were top stitched using complimentary colors. I probably made 50 quilts that way over 10 years and gave them all as gifts. One king sized quilt was used as auction item to support our H.S. band and it went for $1,200!

Creatively, it was fantastic since I would try to use as many complimentary fabrics as possible....hence my love of fabrics and now a honkin' stash.

When I moved to FL, I started taking quilting classes. Wow, did my life become easier when I understood how to put my ideas into actual shapes. Everytime I make a quilt I smile and I think of Maureen, my artist friend. Other than my son, she gave me the best "gift" of my life.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

I love this idea. I just might have to give this a try. Sounds like it would be alot of fun. I have a friend that doesn't really sew but is an artist. We could really have fun with this.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Will send PM count me in. Love the opportunity to teach. I am thrilled when younger ones want to learn to quilt.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
Great Idea. Where do we send the 6 inch squares?

I was "adopted" ten years ago by an artist. She had no idea of how to piece a quilt, but she had an incredible sense of design and color. To start she cut the size batting she wanted, put it on a flat surface and then began to cut ( never measure) pieces to form either "visually balanced" geometric quilts or picture quilts.

The pieces were blind-stitched directly on the batting (turning under a 1/4 inch seam). When the top design was finished a back was added then all the individual pieces were top stitched using complimentary colors. I probably made 50 quilts that way over 10 years and gave them all as gifts. One king sized quilt was used as auction item to support our H.S. band and it went for $1,200!

Creatively, it was fantastic since I would try to use as many complimentary fabrics as possible....hence my love of fabrics and now a honkin' stash.

When I moved to FL, I started taking quilting classes. Wow, did my life become easier when I understood how to put my ideas into actual shapes. Everytime I make a quilt I smile and I think of Maureen, my artist friend. Other than my son, she gave me the best "gift" of my life.
What a great story thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM

My hats off to you, it's enough for me to complete one in a year with a pattern, let alone 5.(still working) Hope they were fairly large pieces. I'll bet they were beautiful, but can't believe you didn't keep at least one! We'd love to see it. I'd like to try something like this someday when I have a place to leave it out. Great story.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 PM

What an exciting project! Sent a PM but unsure if I did it right. It's my first try.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:49 PM

I hate to show my ignorance but what is a PM? Will probably get dozens of answers for my stupidity!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

sending you a pm what a great idea
Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM

count me in---need an address,,,Lee from Indiana
[email protected]