Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help organizing your stash?? >

Need help organizing your stash??

Need help organizing your stash??

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM

I was going to work on sewing building today but so far have not made it and I am not sure why. I want to do it but just never seem to get started. Have several UFO it finish and several quilts in heed that I want to do. It was beautiful here today sun was shining and I still just set in house and reading and on pc. I need pray and a boot in the behind.

I gave to DIL for Christmas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168528[/ATTACH]

was a job getting flags and eagles up right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168534[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168523.jpe   attachment-168529.jpe  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM

does she have time to quilt???
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

oookay, then!
I don't think I am ever going to worry about organizing my stash again.
She has been collecting fabric since the 80s and she didn't wake up one morning and decide she was going to organize, she did it from the start!
I love containers, and I certainly love her organized - - was that a GARAGE??? LOL but, I couldn't help thinking: If I ever attempted this, I wouldn't have time to quilt anything, and I am struggling to get THAT done! (meaning: just putting the tops together)
I went into the big house today to find a pattern to make some vests for the 40 & 8 ... there are five containers under my quilt frame. I magically managed to pull out the correct bin (because I can see through them <g>), but before I got to the vest patterns, I found FIVE quilt tops and bats waiting to be quilted, two dress vests that I started two years ago that need to be finished, one wall hanging that I haven't begun to quilt (but it is sandwiched) two or three quilts that are just tops and FOUR sets of blocks that want to be put together ... I don't have time to organize! LOL <wave> :XD: :XD: :XD:
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

If I had that amount of fabric my DW would KILL me!!!!!

that lady could open a quilt store and not worry about running out for quite a while.

I hope she has it insured!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM

I would be worried about some of the older fabric getting dry rot. If some is still around from the 80's

A comment from my DW
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
I would be worried about some of the older fabric getting dry rot. If some is still around from the 80's

A comment from my DW
Actually, I have some fabric my mother gave me that is from the 40's and 50's and is in perfect condition. I also have some origional feed sacks that are in great condition. Some of my fabric dates back to the 60's ( not counting the above mentioned) and it is in good condition as well. I think it is how you store it. I use totes as well as shelves and haven't had any "dry rot" yet. actually, isn't dry rot pertaining to wood? LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960

A comment from my DW
Actually, I have some fabric my mother gave me that is from the 40's and 50's and is in perfect condition. I also have some origional feed sacks that are in great condition. Some of my fabric dates back to the 60's ( not counting the above mentioned) and it is in good condition as well. I think it is how you store it. I use totes as well as shelves and haven't had any "dry rot" yet. actually, isn't dry rot pertaining to wood? LOL
Not necessarily. You might actually not be aware that the fibers are weakened until it is washed. It would be a good idea to refold your fabric at least once a year. I found some fabric that had been given to me and even after washing and ironing I could not get the fold wrinkles out.