Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with panel layout >

Need help with panel layout

Need help with panel layout

Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Need help with panel layout

I've looked on the company website (Loralie Designs) and can't find anything unique for making a quilt from this panel. I want to cut them into individual blocks and add pieced blocks between or use them to build a block around. The ladies with attached frame measure 7 1/4" x 7 3/4". There are 18 pics per panel and I have 2 panels. Any ideas?
P.S. I have EQ7 and never used it; but is their a way to put these into the program and play with ideas?
Attached Thumbnails loralie-designs-bee-happy.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I'm not sure about what to do with them but they are awesome. What a fun panel to play with.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM

You could sew each image as a square-in-a-square block. Having a frame of some kind to set them apart would preserve the individuality of each one as opposed to having them touching each other like they do in the panel.

You should be able to scan the panel and then crop it to capture one or two of the images, import them into your sketchbook and plug into an EQ layout. EQ is perfect for tasks like this and is the main reason I bought it. If you have leftover images from having two panels, maybe you could incorporate the remaining ones into a pieced back, which might be really fun.

Have fun with your project!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

You could cut them apart and alternate them with some pinwheel groupings or D4P. Since they are not square you will need to build out the pieced blocks to a rectangle. Log cabins would be cool too... or a mixture of all three.

I just bought a bolt of Loralie's Diva Faries, a large center panel. So I'll be in the same boat, thinking of a cool way to frame it. I love her characters!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM

This isn't a very good picture, and there is a glare on it, but maybe something like this would work for you. It would involve cutting the panel apart.

I can't tell you anything about this quilt. Before I started quilting I just cut out pictures of quilts that I found amusing. I didn't keep any of the facts about them. Perhaps someone will recognize the pattern? It looks easy enough to duplicate though.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001814.jpg  
Old 05-10-2014, 04:41 AM

I really love them - My thoughts are a simple black sash between them and again around the outside with maybe a black and yellow checkerboard border??
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 AM

The panels are so sweet. Check out quilt books on panels. They do sell some that are full of ideas.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Open up your EQ and look thru the block library and see if there is something that says USE ME !!

You could use any pattern that has a 4 patch in the center and would be easily adjusted to the added .5" in length such as an elongated Shoo fly putting the ladies in the center. I saw the Hula ladies in a pattern in the Quick Quilts McCall's April May 2014. I have the Hula ladies and the Fast Driver ladies. Haven't had the time yet to decided on what to do with them yet. Thinking of making some small wall hangings for my friends.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:48 AM

I'm in the same boat right now too with a different panel - I've had the panel hanging on my design wall for about a year at least! Last night I decided to cut it into sections, and will start pulling fabrics from my stash and make up some pinwheels, square in a square, what ever to start filling in odd areas, maybe even some embroidered blocks or sayings, it will definitely be scrappy - I hope you get lots of ideas from others on this, it will be fun to watch what you come up with!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 AM

I'd use red that matches the lipstick for the sashing/frames to make them pop and black & white borders.