Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Need help picking fabric

  1. #1
    CristyK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allen Park, Mi
    Posts
    220
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok ladies and gentleman. I'm getting in the mood for my retreat in November and I'm trying to pick out some fabric to match what I already have to save a little money.

    I want to use the center and left fabric (not the green) but I need two more colors. The center and one of the strips.

    The pattern I am using is under the fabric picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    I like what you have so far. It is hard to see clearly in the picture, but are there not 6 colors in the fans?

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,771
    I'd add a pink and some of that dark that's in the fabric - is it navy?

  4. #4
    CristyK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allen Park, Mi
    Posts
    220
    Blog Entries
    1
    Opps I should have pointed out that I'm not gonna do the fans. I'm going to use a cream or white colored squares there in stead.

  5. #5
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,582
    Blog Entries
    19
    Definitely a rose or mauve blender type, then a print with mauve and blue flowers. WalMart has one in their basic fabrics that might work. I like green, but that one reads a little yellow to march the green in the paisley. It may be my computer and it will be fine sewn together. I love that green fabric in quilts. Do you remember where you purchased it?

    The pattern is gorgeous. Such fun to have a dedicated time to work on it.

    edit: I can see a navy blender, too. Because I'm not a blue fan, I tend to forget blues, but I do like a strong rose color with that paisley.

  6. #6
    CristyK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allen Park, Mi
    Posts
    220
    Blog Entries
    1
    Irishrose, believe it or not, all three of those came from walmart.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lheartsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    small town Jersey
    Posts
    590
    Like what you have so far....
    i was thinking cream, darker green....

  8. #8
    Super Member Glassquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    1
    Something to pick up the pink.

  9. #9
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    The green doesn't quite match the green in the print. How about using a pink instead? That would also brighten it up.

  10. #10
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    The green you have is too olive. You need a greener green. I'd definitely add a pink to pick up the pink in the print and you can probably add a navy too.

  11. #11
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Definitely a rose or mauve blender type, then a print with mauve and blue flowers. WalMart has one in their basic fabrics that might work. I like green, but that one reads a little yellow to march the green in the paisley. It may be my computer and it will be fine sewn together. I love that green fabric in quilts. Do you remember where you purchased it?

    The pattern is gorgeous. Such fun to have a dedicated time to work on it.

    edit: I can see a navy blender, too. Because I'm not a blue fan, I tend to forget blues, but I do like a strong rose color with that paisley.


    ditto!

  12. #12
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,276
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd change the green to the hue of green that is in the paisley and add a rosy/red from the paisley. You can play with value.

  13. #13
    Super Member paulswalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,103
    Blog Entries
    3
    Black and a rosy pink would be my choice.

  14. #14
    CristyK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allen Park, Mi
    Posts
    220
    Blog Entries
    1
    I had not planed on using that green. But it was in the pic I pulled up and I don't have my camera or phone with me right now to take a new picture.

    I'd like to stay away from pink since the quilt is going to a man. so I guess I need to find the Navy and dark green to use.

    I'm gonna use a cream color for the back ground.

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,771
    Quote Originally Posted by CristyK1
    I had not planed on using that green. But it was in the pic I pulled up and I don't have my camera or phone with me right now to take a new picture.

    I'd like to stay away from pink since the quilt is going to a man. so I guess I need to find the Navy and dark green to use.

    I'm gonna use a cream color for the back ground.
    Oh.

  16. #16
    Senior Member SharBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    472
    I would add a dark blue and a pink / mauve!

  17. #17
    Senior Member katz_n_kwiltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington, Oh
    Posts
    501
    or you could even try a black in there every so often, the colors are great, but im with everyone, the green u have is too olivey, freshen the green, think spring leaves..
    and a blue would be good, like the cream, and yes, bring out some pink too.
    you asked..
    katz

  18. #18
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by CristyK1
    Ok ladies and gentleman. I'm getting in the mood for my retreat in November and I'm trying to pick out some fabric to match what I already have to save a little money.

    I want to use the center and left fabric (not the green) but I need two more colors. The center and one of the strips.

    The pattern I am using is under the fabric picture.
    I used the paisley with a small pastel blue and white check. Really liked the outcome.

  19. #19
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,771
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by CristyK1
    Ok ladies and gentleman. I'm getting in the mood for my retreat in November and I'm trying to pick out some fabric to match what I already have to save a little money.

    I want to use the center and left fabric (not the green) but I need two more colors. The center and one of the strips.

    The pattern I am using is under the fabric picture.
    I used the paisley with a small pastel blue and white check. Really liked the outcome.
    Can you post a picture? Sounds interesting.

  20. #20
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I'd go with a navy or black and a clear green like in the paisley.

    Too bad the pink/mauve wouldn't work! But I agree, it might not go over well for a male recipient. Some of my guys would like it, my DD (go figure!) and some of the rest would not.

  21. #21
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    I too, would add burgundys and blues and maybe some grays. I love your paisley fabric. May I ask what the name of the pattern is and where is it available to buy?

  22. #22
    Senior Member scrapykate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    728
    I'd go with a rose/mauve blender color as the medium fabric.

  23. #23
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I'd add a pink and some of that dark that's in the fabric - is it navy?
    Thats my suggestion too ! Since you want to stay away from the 'pinks' what about a brighter greener closer to the color in the paisley.

  24. #24
    tmg
    tmg is offline
    Senior Member tmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kimberly, Al.
    Posts
    771
    Need a greener green. Add some pink and a dark blue. Just my opinion.

  25. #25
    Swap Hosts Krystyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,837
    Blog Entries
    23
    Why not pick out two that match the selvage on the paisley?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.