Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with sewing blocks together >

need help with sewing blocks together

need help with sewing blocks together

Old 02-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I press most seams open. It saves a lot of bother.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:02 AM

thank you, again. we had to go out and shovel snow, long driveway and after that was too tired to sew, maybe today will make some more progress. I will post the finished top when is done.
Originally Posted by nantucketsue View Post
You have my sympathy as I have just encountered the same problem joining this type of block with an Ohio Star. It has been an absolute disaster. I have tried clipping and fanning out the seams, but it makes for a very untidy appearance and there are still bumps. I looked on You Tube, I think it was a Fons and Porter tutorial, which suggests pressing the seams open. It also defines the X much better than pressing to one side. I am going to try this with diamond blocks, and a prayer! By the way, I still think you have a done a magnificent job on your blocks, I wish mine looked half as good.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:20 AM

This pattern is a 9-patch. Have to plan ahead when making them if you want them to nest. Sashing would solve your problem with this group of blocks--and certainly wouldn't detract from them. Probably turn out to be a nice addition.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bj View Post
Could you turn the yellow/brown on a quarter turn so the brown is next to the dark blue? The brown seams press inward while the dark blue presses out.
Or even a half turn might work. Good luck. It will be lovely when done.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm confused by the others' answers and am wondering if I'm just not understanding the question.
You have concerns about where the points of the blocks meet when you join them, correct?
The problem is in the pressing of the seams. They both go the same way and will not nest. If one block is turned 1/4 of a turn, they will nest.

But I don't see any way to help with the seams at the points. I guess a rubber mallet will do, as others have suggested.

Last edited by maviskw; 02-11-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 AM

I was having the same problem with little "gathers" on the seams. I tried lengthening my stitch, and what a difference that made -- no more gathers.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568047[/ATTACH]Clover pins will help you with matching your seams. I place a glass headed pin (they are thinner than regular pins) down the seam line, then insert one of these clover double pins down each side of the seam, removing the glass headed pin, and then sew the pieces together. The pins don't come with a bead on them, I put a bead on the pin, poured a tiny bit of "Fray Stop" into a dish and dipped in the pin with the bead on the bend, and put them into a pincushion to dry, and now when I drop them accidently on the floor I can find them easier. You can also sew over these thin pins - I do it carefully - this information per my last class instructor.
Attached Thumbnails clover-pins.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 AM

If I have seams that don't nest, I clip the seam allowance an inch or two from the edge and iron that part the other way so it will nest. My philosophy is the only perfect quilt is the one in my head. So I make it work. I've done many quilts this way and never had a problem or a complaint. Good luck, your blocks look GREAT!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:27 AM

I would turn the brown block as PJ suggested. That will fix your problem.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Could you possible be stretching the material when sewing and that may cause the seam to look like it has a little gathering?