Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help ... >

Need help ...

Need help ...

Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 AM

I have just finished the top of a full sized quilt I have made for my son. (I actually have two other quilt tops done, one is queen sized and one is twin sized). The problem is, the only other BIG quilts I made (about 8 years ago), a friend helped and showed me how to tape down the layers, bottom, batting, top; then pin them every 4 inches, or so, from middle out.
My problem is that now I am a little older and this process is killing my knees (I even have knee pads), hips and back. Is there another way to pin a large quilt together?
Oh, also, she had some terrific tape to tape the material down and it wasn't harsh on the cotton, nor was it masking tape. I thought it was called Quilter's Tape, yet every time I've looked for Quilter's Tape, I only find the 1/4 inch tape. I don't know what the tape she used was named. Help??
Thank you! :)
Ramona
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM

There is a blue painter's tape that works well. It also can be found at a multitude of places not just at quilt shops or hobby shops.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM

this is how this lady does it, hope it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Blue painter's tape is easy on fabric and widely available with house paint supplies.

Sharon Schamber has a Youtube video of how to hand baste on a table (parts 1 & 2). It would work for pin basting too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related

However, why not consider spray basting? It can be done on a wall, on a table outside in the driveway, on a piece of plywood set up on saw horses -- and is much faster than pin basting. I will never go back to other types of basting and won't use anything othger than 505 basting spray.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I go to my church activity hall and put 2 tables together and sandwich my layers there. I don't do knees:)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I go to my church activity hall and put 2 tables together and sandwich my layers there. I don't do knees:)
Great idea! Thank you.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM

However, why not consider spray basting? It can be done on a wall, on a table outside in the driveway, on a piece of plywood set up on saw horses -- and is much faster than pin basting. I will never go back to other types of basting and won't use anything othger than 505 basting spray.[/quote]

I have never heard of this. Does the quilting need to be done right away? Or will the spray hold long enough for a slow quilter?? I will be shopping today!

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM

Thank you ladies for the idea of the painters tape! Also for the quick responses...I can now go get some things before my DH takes the car ;)
Also, thanks for the youtube videos! I have some viewing and learning to do today, gladly!!
Ramona
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Get off you knees unless you are praying to the quilting gods. I go to the public library and use their "community" room. 4 large tables I can push together, and lots of space. It is free to use as long as I don't want to reserve it, otherwise there is a $175.00 charge. I can want.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Highly recommend the Schamber videos- you can use her table and rolled fabric method with pins, thread basting, and I have used it with basting spray- I have the same knee and back problems- can't crawl around on the floor anymore!