Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help!

Need help!

My sister would like a chevron quilt for her wedding present. I haven't done HST's before and I'm having trouble calculating yardage. I know they have to be bigger than the finish size to work out right, but I'm not sure how to do this. The quilt will be 90x110 when finished. Here's my "draft".
    Name:  P1030493.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  75.1 KB
    She didn't like the look of the chevrons close together, so I put an extra row in between each zig zag bit. I was wondering if I could just put strips in between instead of doing squares. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Sure you can put strips in between. For the HST's I usually cut 1" bigger then trim.
    If you are going to make several HST's of the same color combination, you can
    make 8 or more using this method. It's a lot faster than making individual ones.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

I think I'll need 7 1/4yds grey, 3yds cream, and 2 1/4yds yellow since I'm using yellow for binding too. This is giving me some wiggle room since I tend to cut things wrong every once and a while. :P
    I'm counting on 5.5in HST's before they're sewn together and 5.5 in squares to go in between. SO that means the HST squares would have to be 6 3/8 right?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Sure you can put strips in between. For the HST's I usually cut 1" bigger then trim.
    If you are going to make several HST's of the same color combination, you can
    make 8 or more using this method. It's a lot faster than making individual ones.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html
    This is SUPER helpful!!!! Thank you so much. Going to recalculate with this in mind.

Blog Entries
    I cut my squares 1" bigger than the desired size instead of worrying about getting the 7/8" correct every time. I trim them down to desired size and I've had perfect HSTs ever since.

Life is too short to worry about wasting an extra 1/8" of fabric!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

The yardage came out about the same when I calculated it for the 8 at a time HST's and strips for in between.

Power Poster
    Someone posted a link to a Chevron quilt last week that was all done with rectangle units sewn together. If I do a Chevron quilt that is the method I want to use.http://thelittlefabricshop.blogspot....-tutorial.html If this doesn't work Google the address?
    Last edited by Tartan; 05-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Thank you for the link.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Someone posted a link to a Chevron quilt last week that was all done with rectangle units sewn together. If I do a Chevron quilt that is the method I want to use.http://thelittlefabricshop.blogspot....-tutorial.html If this doesn't work Google the address?
    I did one of these a few months ago and the downside to it is that when you are done and trim all the extra off, the entire outer edge is bias. It was a pain to sandwich because one end stretched. It came out all right after quilting, but I definitely had much less problems doing it the 1/2 square triangle method.

You may want to starch your fabric first, helps eliminate the bias stretching.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

That's a neat pattern on the link, thanks!
    rosalynd, looks like you've got your pattern figured out & that's so wonderful you're making her a quilt that she's given some input, you know she will treasure it.

Power Poster
    Katier825, I think I would machine sew the binding on the well starched front of the quilt along a drawn straight line and THEN trim. I think this would take care of working with bias edges.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Wow! That does look a lot easier to do!

I made the same pattern but I angled it diagonally like steps going up for a foster child. You have done a very nice draft but why not make flying geese instead of HSTs??? I use Eleanor Burns method of making geese from two squares of fabric and by doing two simple sewing steps, you get 4 geese. REAL SIMPLE !! Good Luck
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort