Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help... >

Need help...

Need help...

Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 AM

Post Need help...

I just completed a 90 x 107 quilt top (have back ¾ done). But realized I made both same size! Can I add a wide scrap border with loose stitches to the backing & have the top & batting same size? After it's machine quilted I could take off the wide scrap border & bind it… huh?
This is my 1st big quilt. I have made twins before but did my own quilting..
Thanks for any suggestions…..
Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Are you going to quilt it yourself or have it longarmed? If having it longarmed, you need to check with the person doing it. They will tell you how much extra batt and backing they want.
If you are doing it yourself, sure you can add scrap fabric around the edges to remove later. Do you have a wide enough border on the front that you can trim it after quilting in case the back shifts?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 AM

If you add anything to the backing (other than original matching fabric), be sure that it will be ok to stay, as quilting will sometimes pull the fabric in, resulting in the added borders being quilted too.....depending on how your backing is pieced, I would maybe split it down the middle and add a strip there plus one on one end....making sure that enough of the added bottom border was placed over the quilt top so that it looked like it was supposed to be that way (you don't want just one inch of a different fabric to show)....clear as mud, right?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 AM

Yes I will have it LA & the top border is wide enough that I could trim if needed. But will ask if a scrap border can be added on backing just so it could be quilted to very edge of backing, then I would trim all 3 & bind…

thanks….

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Are you going to quilt it yourself or have it longarmed? If having it longarmed, you need to check with the person doing it. They will tell you how much extra batt and backing they want.
If you are doing it yourself, sure you can add scrap fabric around the edges to remove later. Do you have a wide enough border on the front that you can trim it after quilting in case the back shifts?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 AM

When I started quilting It happened to me that my backing was about the same size as my top and when I took it to the L A lady she sewed a pc of muslin all around so she can loan it on the frame then had it all cut after quilting so it is doable depending on the LA person if willing to quilt it like that.
Good luck
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 AM

I would not add fabric to the ends of the back. I would cut the back in half and add a strip of fabric to the middle of your back, the amount needed to make it as big as you want it. That way the sides will not have a seam to deal with when you bind it. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

she has it 3/4 done already. Call your long arm quilter and ask what to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 AM

Do you mean you have 3/4 of the back pieced together and don't want to go back to the middle?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I echo the others who said to put more fabric in the middle, not at the ends. It will be very difficult, perhaps impossible, for the longarmer to perfectly match the edges of the top and bottom, so some of that piecing will show, and having just a little showing at top and bottom (and I assume the sides too) will not look good.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
I would not add fabric to the ends of the back. I would cut the back in half and add a strip of fabric to the middle of your back, the amount needed to make it as big as you want it. That way the sides will not have a seam to deal with when you bind it. Hope that makes sense.
This is the best solution. Once quilted the backing will have been "pulled in" and whatewver you put on the edges will be required to stay with the quilt. So adding in the middle with regular stitching to stay put is the best idea.