Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with tumbler blocks >

Need help with tumbler blocks

Need help with tumbler blocks

Old 05-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Need help with tumbler blocks

Not long ago someone on The Board talked about sewing tumbler blocks from top to bottom instead of horizontal rows. I guess it's supposed to be easier. I had a bunch of charm squares I didn't know what to do with and thought this was the answer. Ok so now that I've sewn them together in vertical rows I'm having trouble getting my seams to match up as I sew them. You know they have opposing angles. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've only sewn part of the row and had to take half of it apart already. Do I have to measure & mark every point where the seams meet so they will meet? HELP me please!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to use the thinnest pins you have to pin match where needed. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM

I made one and did have to pin every other seam. Think about the seam where they join as being a little tiny x and just get the x centered. I found that by starting to pin in the center and working out to each edge I could get it smoother.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 PM

I watched Kaye Wood Y seam you tube video a couple times and it was so easy and sewed my blocs across but had a hard time attaching the rows and after 3 rows realized if I add them going up instead of from top down it was a piece of cake. 3/4 done now and love my quilt top results.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 PM

I just finished making the top of an American Flag using the tumbler blocks, and yes, you do have to match up the seams the same as you would any other block. It's straight sewing. Oh, I know what you did. Did you sew them together at the ends of the tumblers or on the sides of the tumblers? They are supposed to be sewn together vertically on the sides, and then the ends will meet easily with the next row. I hope I made myself clear. The rows also need to be sewn together vertically.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 PM

I made the honeycomb quilt version of the tumbler blocks, and used the method on Youtube demonstrated by Jenny Doan. (Missouri Star quilt co ). The seams were all perfect and easy to put together. She is a good teacher.
The quilt looks like horizontal rows, but are actually sewn together vertically, thus all straight seams.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

This is one quilt pattern that I did NOT put on my bucket list. Hope that you are able to find a solution to your dilemma.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I have the Go Tumbler die and no problem at all matching them to sew. It's all straight sewing one tumbler to the other. I sew horizontal rows then join the rows.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 AM

I did put it on my bucket list but it's so far down I'll never get to it. Neither handpiecing nor y seams appeal to me and I've never liked the "new, improved" patterns that add a seam in the block. If I ever get to it, I'll just have to go to the internet videos. Joyce in Delaware
Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the Go Tumbler die and no problem at all matching them to sew. It's all straight sewing one tumbler to the other. I sew horizontal rows then join the rows.
This was what I'm planning to do. I have a tumbler die and all my blocks are cut. You all are scaring me now with talk of vertical rows and seams not matching!