Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help to use nice wool fabric >

Need help to use nice wool fabric

Need help to use nice wool fabric

Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Default Need help to use nice wool fabric

I just received several yards of nice wool fabrics in mostly blues and browns. How would you make a quilt out of it? elsa
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't use it in a quilt. I'd make myself a nice cape to wear when it's cool.

If it's washable wool you could wash it and see how it come out. If it doens't come out well or isn't washable wool, you'll end up with a quilt that has to be dry cleaned. Some wool isn't really washable and it will felt when washed, which gives you a whole other fabric,
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by elsa View Post
I just received several yards of nice wool fabrics in mostly blues and browns. How would you make a quilt out of it? elsa
I would serge or zigzag the raw edges, then wash and dry. When looking for a pattern, I would think very big blocks without small pieces, perhaps using large background blocks with simple applique.

Cashs_mom's idea of a cape sounds great also.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I would use it for appliqué after washing ( in hot water, with detergent, cold rinse- hot dryer) then the wool if ready to be cut & stitched anyway you would like. Visit Primitive Gatherings; Sue Spargo; Wool Works; Missie Carpenter. There are many more ( wool quilting) places, those are ones I turn to often. Once there check out more of their links if you would like. Also if you (Pinterest) just search --wool Quilts. Tons of inspiration.
Heres a couple of my wool quilt projects.
Attached Thumbnails img_2505.jpg   img_2491.jpg   img_2493.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I have washed Pendleton wool (the men's shirt weight).

It turned out well. I can't tell the washed from the unwashed.

I bought five yard lengths of burgundy, navy, and hunter green way back when the stores were called Minnesota Fabrics. I wonder why I did not buy any black. I think I was going to make myself suits or something. Maybe the store did not have a long piece of black in stock.

I have washed DH's Pendleton shirts at home. I soak them in cool/warm water, rinse in the same temperature water - spin dry or towel dry. No wringing by hand. I might partially dry them in the dryer and then let them air dry on a hanger. They turned out well.

I think they got by cleaner by washing than taking them to a dry cleaner.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have washed Pendleton wool (the men's shirt weight).

It turned out well. I can't tell the washed from the unwashed.

I bought five yard lengths of burgundy, navy, and hunter green way back when the stores were called Minnesota Fabrics. I wonder why I did not buy any black. I think I was going to make myself suits or something. Maybe the store did not have a long piece of black in stock.

I have washed DH's Pendleton shirts at home. I soak them in cool/warm water, rinse in the same temperature water - spin dry or towel dry. No wringing by hand. I might partially dry them in the dryer and then let them air dry on a hanger. They turned out well.

I think they got by cleaner by washing than taking them to a dry cleaner.
I agree. I think they do get cleaner by washing than repeated dry cleaning. However, not all wool washes as nicely as Pendleton (I think it's pretty much the gold standard for wool shirts). Some wool will felt when washed and dried, but that does make for nice applique (as ckcowl shows) and even clothing.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would use it for appliqué after washing ( in hot water, with detergent, cold rinse- hot dryer) then the wool if ready to be cut & stitched anyway you would like. Visit Primitive Gatherings; Sue Spargo; Wool Works; Missie Carpenter. There are many more ( wool quilting) places, those are ones I turn to often. Once there check out more of their links if you would like. Also if you (Pinterest) just search --wool Quilts. Tons of inspiration.
Heres a couple of my wool quilt projects.
Great idea- try wool appliqué. I love it. It's easy and very relaxing if you like handwork. I have a quilting friend who also does rug hooking with wool and is always willing to share her stash - really handy when I need a particular color.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I gave away a huge tote full of wool garments - I am wondering what the recipient did with them.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Check the pattern companies. The long duster length vests, bolero and capes are very much in style and easy to make. I have one draped vest for myself in a pendleton heather beige and now I am planning a cape with a black and white plaid wool. All of the pattern companies have cute patterns for them.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 AM

My mom used to get beautiful wool from all kinds of outlet places. She would wash it in very hot water and dry in hot dryer, that way you have what is called boiled wool which can be laundered normally. I would really consider making a jacket wool is so wonderful to sew with and makes great garments. You can go ahead and use it for a quilt but it will be very heavy and super warm. Using it for applique is great as well. Have fun with it!