Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a wheel chair cover. >

Need help with a wheel chair cover.

Need help with a wheel chair cover.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Default Need help with a wheel chair cover.

I am making ( or attempting) to make a cover for my instructors wheel chair. She is complaining how hot the vinyl is on her back. She is constantly sweating. So I want to make her a covering to go over the back. My first question. Should I put batting in it? Would that keep it cooler ? and I was thinking of making it go down the back of the chair also and tying it at the bottom. There is no place to tie it on the sides so to make it stay I imagine making it go on both sides and tying the bottom together would work best. This leads me to my second question.. how would you make it to attach on the top and down the back? I hope I made sense,, just ask away and I will try to explain myself more clearly. Thank you..
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM

I imagine you mean to make it like an envelope, so it just slips over the back, I would make it long enough to fit over the back rest of the chair in one piece, stitch up the sides and neated off the bottom, I would have thought if it was snug enough it wouldn't need securing, her weight on it should keep it in place, and if it was me I would use batting, as I think it would help absorb her sweating, I would also make two so one can be in the wash!!! Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Can you create a link to the type of wheelchair she uses? They are all a bit different.
Off the top of my head, I would think making something like a pillowcase with holes for the handles. The problem is with out the info on which model she has, I don't know what to tell you on how to attach the bottom. THe one my mom had has a gap at the bottom of the back (where it meets the seat) you could add ties to the cover for this type of chair, but I know others are closed at this spot.
I would definitely add batting, probably 2 layers of wool against her back. Wool breathes really well.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
RST

It's all so specific to the chair. My son's chair has a head rest, lateral supports, lots of straps that cross over the chest and waist -- so to create any kind of cover would be very cumbersome. Another key question would be who do you expect will be putting this cover on the chair and taking it off? Is she able to do that herself? Will ties be difficult for her to manipulate or to reach? I'd suggest using stitched in velcro-- the industrial strength type works very well, yet is easier to use than ties that might become very tight when stretched.

Another thing to be very careful about is avoiding anything that will result in big lumps or folds under or behind her -- depending on the individual's needs, lumps can lead to skin breakdown.
I would think that a natural fiber batting would help most with sweat. One of the favorites with wheel chair users is having a sheep skin liner-- wicks moisture, is soft, and yet warm (cause vinyl is horrid in cold weather too). If she has a custom wheelchair, she can request a different material for her seating system next time. She may even qualify for an upgrade now-- something to check in her medical coverage.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Thanks everyone.

It is an older type wheel chair. The arms are closed off so you can't tie it on the the sides. There is no breathing room because even the arms have vinyl from the arms rest to the seat. It will have to slip over the top and there is a slit in the bottom where it may be attached. She is only in it because she broke her leg and can't stand on it. She will be in it for at least another couple of months.

Thanks for the confirmation that it needs batting. and I am looking at it and thinking what else I can do it.

RST thanks for the heads up about lumps. Will quilt it so the batting stays in place.

Paper Princess Unfortunately I do not have any wool. Hopefully since it is only for a couple of months it wont be that bad.

Janedee you are so correct ..That is what I will do. I kept thinking I had to make 2 things and attache them together. Your way is so much easier.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM

What about using Velcro to hold it on the wheelchair? When my FIL was still with us I made several hanging pockets for his walker. I attached them with Velcro so it would be easy to remove and toss in the laundry.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Have a look at this site for an idea, you can enlarge the photo. http://www.usmedicalsupplies.com/WC-Cover-Sure-Fit.html
Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM

I took a prequilted piece of fabric measured to twice the height (top to bottom) of the wheelchair back and one inch narrower than the back. I then finished the side edges (with a hem) and put a long strip of velcro on the ends. Take this piece of fabric, fold it in half over the top of the back and velcro at the bottom. Easily removable to wash, and covers the wheelchair back completely. Doesn't get in the way of the wheels (as ties may) or the handles. Hope this is clear!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM

I agree with the others about the Velcro. My thinking is that unless you make them short enough they could get tangled up on the wheels. One other thing my might want to add, depending on how you design it is adding a pocket or two. I spent 4+ months in a w/chair a few years ago and would have loved to have had some kind of pocket or holder to put papers, snack, book, etc in would have been so helpful. I finally had my husband buy a nail apron at the hardware store and tied it to the side of my w/c. Big help.
Anyway just a thought. I totally get where she is coming from about sweating. That vinyl gets very hot and sticky. You are a good friend to do this for her. God bless you for all your efforts.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 PM

I have been sitting here pondering on your question. One other thing you might want to consider is making your cover out of terry cloth. It would work well for absorbing moisture & sweat. Just another thought.