Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Helpful Tips with Hubby

Bad news from my sewing machine tech....my machine is dead, may she RIP. Good News....I get to buy a new machine. I really, really want the Janome 6600. My hubby is a little concerned at the price tag (understandable)....any tips on how to convince him it's (or I'm) worth it??!!!

Get him thinking value for $.

More $ now, means you have a machine that will last you much longer than the lower end ones. That goes for the overall quality as well as in the tricks it'll do!

I use this one on my hubby all the time.....

When you spread the cost over the years I'm going to use it... It really only costs about XXX. I just have to pay it all up front.

I bought a Bernina...which is pricey also...but have never regretted it, or how wonderful my DH is for going along with my choice. They are both keepers!
    Claudia

Quote Originally Posted by Kehoeta
    I use this one on my hubby all the time.....

When you spread the cost over the years I'm going to use it... It really only costs about XXX. I just have to pay it all up front.
    I like this one!!

Of course, there's the "when mamma ain't happy, no one is happy" factor! A happy YOU ... makes life easier for him! :)

you might be able to get a used one on Craigslist won't have a warranty but these machine rarely if ever have any problems I love my Janome. Some sewing machines shops also might have one that was traded in or a floor model as they are now bringing out the 7700 and are getting rid of the 6600's so you really might find a great deal. Also do you have a older machine you could use as a trade in?

you might be able to get a used one on Craigslist won't have a warranty but these machine rarely if ever have any problems I love my Janome. Some sewing machines shops also might have one that was traded in or a floor model as they are now bringing out the 7700 and are getting rid of the 6600's so you really might find a great deal. Also do you have a older machine you could use as a trade in?

sorry double post

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    I've looked on Craigs List - no luck there. My machine is not fixable, so no trade either. I'm wondering if I might find a deal at a quilt show. There's a big one coming up in the Twin Cities next week.

call around to local shops and see what kind of deals they have before you go to the show so you know what you could get

Take your time when it comes to buying a new machine. However, there is nothing as nice or such a workhorse as the Janome 6600P. The thread cutter saves lots of money on thread, the large 9" harp means a larger area for quilting and sewing. There are a lot of stitches and even has the alphabet but it is a workhorse and could very possibly be the last machine you will ever need. Has the built-in accufeed and needle threader, too. Such value for pennies on the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Of course, there's the "when mamma ain't happy, no one is happy" factor! A happy YOU ... makes life easier for him! :)
    Exactly my thoughts!

Blog Entries
    What is the price? Perhaps it is overpriced and you can get a better price elsewhere. I would say $1400 should be the top price. If it more than that, shop around. Might make him easier to convince.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    Actually, there's a newer just this last couple of months, over and above the 7700.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    Take your time when it comes to buying a new machine. However, there is nothing as nice or such a workhorse as the Janome 6600P. The thread cutter saves lots of money on thread, the large 9" harp means a larger area for quilting and sewing. There are a lot of stitches and even has the alphabet but it is a workhorse and could very possibly be the last machine you will ever need. Has the built-in accufeed and needle threader, too. Such value for pennies on the dollar.
    Watch using the "last machine I'll ever need" plea ..... as you can bet it might come back to haunt you, when you want another machine in addition to this one you are buying now.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    You could tell him the price on the Bernina 830 first, then tell him that you can't justify spending that much. That will make the Janome look cheap. Worked with mine.

Blog Entries
    I would at least wait until the show. They often have specials. Also, ask the dealer to see if they have any trade-ins on the prior model. May have most of the features you want at a more attractive price.
    Then use the ever popular, how much did that boat/bike/ golf clubs ect. Cost him???

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I would at least wait until the show. They often have specials. Also, ask the dealer to see if they have any trade-ins on the prior model. May have most of the features you want at a more attractive price.
    Then use the ever popular, how much did that boat/bike/ golf clubs ect. Cost him???
    Or there could be a 6600 trade now, with others upgrading to the two newer ones.

When comparing pricing, be sure to know about the in/exclusions .... not all will be sold with the same, and while one looks more/less, in reality it may be the same price if it were apples to apples!

I have the 6600 and love it especially for FMQ. Which ever machine you buy please be sure to find a dealer who will stand by the machine. You should get classes with it, even one would be good as it is an easy machine to use. Look around for a pricing deal. There was a thread on here last week about this very thing and the ladies were getting tables and extra feet with their machines depending where they shopped. The prices were very good also. Your DH will be glad you saved him a lot of money. lol

Blog Entries
    watch for them on e bay

How many hours of entertainment do you get out of a movie tickets, games, trips per X-dollars each year? How many hours of entertainment will you get from your new machine year after year for the life of the machine? If he likes math, make him figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Well, dh and I just usually sit down and look over our budget when 1 of us is looking for something new, that would be considered a "big ticket item". I never "have" to ask for permission to buy something, same way with dh to me, but it is just common courtesy to discuss a large purchase, imho. We also know what is really important to each of us...mine is quilting, dimensional embroidery and beadwork...his is fishing and hunting and working on "their" classic car with our son..So, that is how I would go about it...That being said I have to say if there is something I want, I usually get it...sometimes it may be better if dh wasn't so accommodating...hmm...nah...lol... If you have the $$, and it won't stretch your budget, that would be a good thing to bring up to dh...also the fact that usually one gets what they pay for...hopefully you can find a great deal on one...Hey! Call it an early Christmas, your birthday, Mother's Day, Happy Halloween, etc...gift....lol..
    Good luck to you!
    Kif

I'm wondering if I might find a deal at a quilt show. There's a big one coming up in the Twin Cities next week.[/quote]

There have been great deals at the big quilt shows when they have classes especially. If Janome is supplying class machines, they usually sell them at the end of the class sessions for a great price.
    Also, dealers often have great prices and specials on the vender's floor. go online and check to see who the venders are for the show. It might pay for you to call them and ask about the class and vender's specials. Many times the venders add all sorts of feet, tables, etc., plus being a great price. Can't hurt to ask!
    Just remember, you want a dealer that will service your machine, and that gives lessons.......many times this is only from your local dealer. Pays to really investigate and compare!

The price I've been finding is $1499.00. Does that seem too high? I will definitely keep shopping around, but it seems like a fair price compared to some I've seen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast