Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt >

Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt

Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt

Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Taffeta fans

Thanks for the responses so far!

here is one of the completed blocks of the deadly taffeta quilt.
Attached Thumbnails ed90bb42-1e01-4e94-80aa-07111fd2ed96.jpeg  
Old 10-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rrainea View Post
Thanks for the responses so far!

here is one of the completed blocks of the deadly taffeta quilt.
Sweet!.............
Old 10-07-2020, 08:11 AM

Oh my goodness, "Deadly Taffeta" if that isn't a band name, I don't know what is!

Welcome to the boards and the world of quilting.

I would probably finish up the one partial strip somehow and then I like the idea of using the existing bars between bars of either plan fabric, or maybe sets of blocks where you are learning your quilting and doing what you want to do with your types of fabrics. You can mix the old/new and the generations and skills nicely that way.

It all depends on where you live, but here in Seattle (waving from a safe personal space) we have thrift stores filled with everything you can think of, including fabrics. Part of what I like about quilting is the recycling aspect (but I wish I did have the budget and space to buy all the new fabric I like). Especially for finishing off what your mother did, you may be able to find a bag of scraps for very little. We also have Craig's List here, I regularly look for people wanting fabric and often see ads about people wanting quilting scraps.

Edit: In my thrifting I often find UFOs or unfinished tops. Often there is a clear reason one why they didn't get done, others less so. While there are times that I make my work fit in, there are other times when I decide to show where I started and make some changes. Even if it fits in on the top, say if the original quilter used white thread to piece, I would switch to blue to show where my hand went in.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-07-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:24 AM

Welcome Rrainea. I agree with Barb in Louisiana. I especially loved the one bordered in black.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Default Finished!

Hi all,
I ended up completing the last strip, sewing it to the others, then slicing it in half and making a lap quilt. By choosing a smaller size I was able to complete it in time for my mom’s 97th birthday in mid-October. She was very happy to see it again and spent half an hour examining the fabrics and telling me about the long ago sewing projects that they had come from. At 97, we treasure all of her birthdays!

I would be the first to admit that it is not going to win any prizes but I learned a lot by doing it (mom, why did you ever decide to sew them all down onto flannel strips?? That makes it so hard to work with...) and mom loves it.
Attached Thumbnails c6016298-138a-4460-9111-f303ed6bb661.jpeg   cf9b270d-313a-422a-9110-4a9b966910e3.jpeg  
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 PM

WOW!!!! Impressive looking. You really knocked that one out of the park.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:36 AM

great finish! That is a very special quilt