Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for Group Christmas Gifts >

Need ideas for Group Christmas Gifts

Need ideas for Group Christmas Gifts

Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 PM

The charity quilts would be wonderful, but if you wanted to do something special for each member in your group, check out Geta Grama's site. She has fantastic tuts on fabric bowl patterns. Her quilt patterns are also fantastic.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:26 AM

My quilt group of 8 did some fun things over the years. One year, each member chose a block pattern (in secret) and received a packet of fabric from other members. We made the same pattern for each member, but in her own fabric. So when we exchanged them at our Christmas party, we received 8 blocks in the same fabrics, but different patterns!! We then made our own Christmas quilts, all similar, but different. It was a fun surprise to see what blocks each member chose, and how differently they were completed. Another year, we surrendered an unfinished project, completely divorced from it emotionally, and the receiver took the project and finished into something of her choice. So a surrendered block became a pocket on a tote bag, a set of blocks were disassembled and reassembled into a different quilt, a pot holder, etc. The gift was the finishing. Some years we simply drew names, and other years we did a Yankee swap. Our group broke up due to members' life changes, and time marching on, but it sure was fun while it lasted!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Just pinterested Victorian doll,pincushions......they are so lovely.....I think I'll have to search for one of those half dolls at the antique stores locally.......might be fun...haven't played with a doll for a very long time..........anyone here have or redressed one?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

quiltshaker, you don't say where you live, so I don't know if I can make it!!
I'd love to join you . sounds like loads of fun. show us what you do, please.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Just pinterested Victorian doll,pincushions......they are so lovely.....I think I'll have to search for one of those half dolls at the antique stores locally.......might be fun...haven't played with a doll for a very long time..........anyone here have or redressed one?
Ebay has them starting at about $5.00 and if you "yahoo search" them, several sites that supply them come up. I was even able to find several new ones of porcelain.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Power Poster

You could agree to do nothing for each other for Christmas. Or - instead of a group project - you could bring in food for a food shelf or something like that.

Our little group exchanges token gifts - sometimes made - sometimes purchased. My current gift has been the crocheted nylon pot scrubbers - that I buy from a lady three doors up the street from us in Florida.

Most of us are in down-sizing mode now - one of us is in assisted living and her space is down to one room - so even a small trinket can be considered clutter.