need ideas for half square triangles... >

need ideas for half square triangles...

need ideas for half square triangles...

Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Much eye candy here:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...12.JXf4JLemZjk
Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

There are just so many patterns that are based on HST. I am working on a modern chevron that was in the recent quilt magazine.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM

Gorgeous! love the design
Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 PM

HST binge is an apt description. : ) I did something similar to try to cut into my stash of fat quarters. I cut 10 inch squares out of a bunch and made eight at a time (4.5 unfinished/4 finished). That way I'd have some building blocks for a variety of designs that use HSTs. I have over 200 now. I should probably get busy and make something!

I confess I did the same with the 4 at once Flying Geese blocks because they also get used in a ton of designs. I haven't used those either and I have over 200 in several different sizes.

Maybe this is akin to having a stash of hexies ready to use? No concrete plans but there when you need them. Post pictures when you choose a design!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Some quilt stores offer a "Buck a Block" using Thangles for making HST's. The blocks are all different ways to use your HST's and are fast and easy. Check them out. You could also check Quilter's Cache for blocks that use HST's.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ditzyprints View Post
One method of making the Windblown block uses all half square triangles with two colors, this is the block I am working on. See block and instructions at link below.

http://www.quiltaholics.com/bom/windsq.htm

The pattern I am using is called Windblown Shadows, from the book "The Thimbleberries Book of Quilts" by Lynette Jensen from 1998, but I am not doing the shadow effect of using a dark alternating block but rather constructing as shown in link.

Another pattern is called Spinning Flowers from Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine (Nov./Dec. 2014).

http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...-quilt-project

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512004[/ATTACH]

Hope you like one of these patterns.

this is the windblown block from link above.
Thank you so much for posting this. I just ordered a layer cake with no plan as to what to do with it. I was watching M*QC tutorials and she was making a broken dishes block with 16 HSTs out of 2 layer cake squares and I realized I could do this Windblown block the same way. I really like this quilt.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
Love what you are doing Lori. I, too, have some HSTs to work with. They are 2 inch ones. I have about 300 of them, just from the quilt I'm making now. Have a bunch of others from different quilt tops. You know, those little corners you cut off..well, I can't stand to throw them away so I just make these little HSTs and tuck them away for later use. Yes, I have a sickness!
Well, then -- I must have the same sickness, cuz I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Before I cut off the corner, I run another seam and when I cut, the tiny HST is already formed.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas to put then together.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I just won 279 HST at one of my guilds. They're 2 1/2" ones. This is what I'm doing with them - I'm just making it up as I go along! It will most likely be assymmetrical because I won them at the Modern Guild
Thats really nice, but if it were mine, I would turn some of the HST's upside down. Just to interrupt all those straight lines. They get longer and longer as the quilt gets bigger. Turn some of them and see if you like that. Every third one, or something like that. Maybe the second one from each corner. You could make a one-of-a-kind pattern.

(The picture didn't come along with the quote, but you can see it at post #3.)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 AM

Lori, Your quilt is going to be beautiful! You have a great eye for placement. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 AM

Wow, great ideas for HST! What came to mind for me was the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt from January this year. I made a ton of HST for that one and she finds clever ways to use them.