Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas!!  How can I start quilting in this condition >

Need ideas!! How can I start quilting in this condition

Need ideas!! How can I start quilting in this condition

Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 AM

OUCHIE!!!! That hurts just thinking about it. Hope you heal soon. We never realize what we have till we don't have it. We take so many things for granted. You can count your blessings that muscles were not cut, we can always find the silver lining in every cloud.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:16 AM

So sorry to hear of that, you will be in my prayers.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 AM

I can't add any suggestions that haven't already been given. Just try to behave and get that finger well. It will be a bit stiff after the stitches come out, just bear with it and you'll be stitching in no time.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM

I use both hands for basting or hand quilting and suggest you use a strip of fabric and stabilize the injured finger to the last two of your hand to keep them together. Then use your thumb and first finger to hold a needle and use this hand under the quilt to push up the needle for basting or stitching. The left hand is not as agile but you can see where to put it, catch it with your right thumb and finger and push it back up. Might be slow at first but you will find it works.
Carol J.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by eimay
Can you pinch your needle with your thumb and index finger of your right hand, keeping the other three fingers extended and pull the needle through with your left hand?
This something I was considering. My SIL quilts with her ring finger. I'm open to both ideas. I'll have my hand kit ready to go this week, within the next couple days. I'm going to try them and if the two other fingers don't work for me, I'll wait until the stitches come out. I know my finger will be stiff afterwards, but as long as I can quilt again someday (SOON I HOPE!!!) I'll be alright.

Hubby went and picked me out a new opener yesterday. I'm still learning how to use it, but it likes all can sizes equally.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM

So sorry about the finger, hope your DH appreciates the trouble you went through to do this for him! Can you use your thumb and middle finger? Hope it heals quickly!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Good luck with the healing!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM

So sorry to hear about your accident. Will certainly pray for you. God bless.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

I am so sorry for your accident. Congrats on your up coming anniversey. Mine is next month and it is #28 this year. You could try quilting with the next finger. God bless. Penny
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Personally, I think you should be extremely grateful that the damage wasn't worse. That said, if you pretty good friends with your guild, maybe you could just belly up to the bar and hold your hand and say "I know everyone is busy, but could any of you help to get this quilt basted for me." I am sure that the guild probably knows what this quilt is for and I'll bet there is enough kindness in the group to help you. Go for it, let your hand heal and we will just keep a private little prayer that there really isn't any permenant damage to the tendons, or nerves or what it is in those filangees that were cut..