Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Ideas for Quilt Guild >

Need Ideas for Quilt Guild

Need Ideas for Quilt Guild

Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM

I also have to help figure out the programs this coming ear for our quilt guild. Last night at our meeting, we asked for ideas that members may have, for programs next year. Some members volunter to show hwo to do a technique or pattern. We also get at least one local Quilt Shop to come and set up one month and talk about new items, new patterns, hot items, tips and tricks, etc. I wil be doing a demonstation one month on Terry Atkinson's zippy strippy bag. I will be improvising it a little to make a flap (instead of putting in the zipper, and then adding a long narrow strip handle, to use it for a book bag. This zippy strippy bag will also give "newbie" quilters the know-how of Quilt-as-you-go technique when making these bags. I am actually making a bunch for my nieces for Xmas presents. I also will be deomonstrating one month on making a microwave baked potato bag and making a simpel potholder. These are ideas for quilters who no longer have anyone to make quilts for, but want to make something "quilty". At oen of our all day sewing days (we have twice a year), I also demonstrated how I make a casserole carrier.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

1. Last Monday night, one member showed how to make a kleenex box cover.
2. We have a charity project with 10 inch blocks of kids fabrics to put into quilts for Binky Patrol. Will attach the easy block pattern for you to use. We asked each member to bring at least 2 of these blocks to share.
3. LQS showed how to QAYG-was organized and had individual steps done to show along the way.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Double Four quilt block.pdf (344.1 KB, 282 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Good Demos are bobbin work and couching! Also thread painting.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Our guild always does a show and tell segment. That would take about 20 minutes on average. It's so much fun to see what others have done and to get new ideas. You could also ask people to bring the worst quilt they ever made, thweir favorite quilt, a project that was their biggest problem and how they solved it, etc. We also do an evening work session a couple of times a year when we make baby quilts for the NICU or cancer hats for the cancer center.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM

alot of great tips.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
1. Last Monday night, one member showed how to make a kleenex box cover.
2. We have a charity project with 10 inch blocks of kids fabrics to put into quilts for Binky Patrol. Will attach the easy block pattern for you to use. We asked each member to bring at least 2 of these blocks to share.
3. LQS showed how to QAYG-was organized and had individual steps done to show along the way.
Thanks for the pattern!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Linda, I was looking for the same information and I loved what information you were given.

Thank you
Bonnie
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 AM

We are planning the calendar for 2014. Any additional ideas? Keep"em coming!
sandy
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Here's an idea for a demo: Four Fast Flying Geese. Make a sample of each step of the process and attach to a small board (your visual aide) and talk through the steps. Provide a handout with info for various sizes.

http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-flying-geese/

Fast & Furious is #3. Make a copy of the chart as a handout.

At my guild we call these School house minutes.

Jane
Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Our demo member finds specialty rulers with book and demos how to use it (she has a budget) Then if there is enough interest there is a workshop planned to make the quilt using the ruler and book. She takes orders and the LQS give us a discount on the order. The ruler and book is put in the guild library after demoing for check out if no workhop is planned.