Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for quilting on a Trip Around the World Top >

Need ideas for quilting on a Trip Around the World Top

Need ideas for quilting on a Trip Around the World Top

Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Default Need ideas for quilting on a Trip Around the World Top

Hello, I made this quilt top back in 2008-9 while still in Florida waiting for my house to sell. I goofed up with the measurements right at the beginning no less. I enlarged my strips but by the time I went to start cutting the strips to size I'd forgotten I'd enlarged them so cut as instructed making them into rectangles instead of squares. I'm finally going to think about quilting it but have no ideas what patterns to use as I dislike E2E patterns. Would like to find a pattern that would/could follow the "trip" but with the blocks being not square I don't know if I'm asking for more than I can do. Also I only do robotic quilting so that might be an issue too. If anyone has quilted a "Trip" top could you show me a photo of the top and what patterns you used?

Here's a photo of mine. Color is not quite right as my flash didn't go off as it should. Its about a 95 x 76 size at present.

Thanks load for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails trip-around-world.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

My squares were smaller and I just diagonally stitched thru the center of each square:
Attached Thumbnails diagonial-stitching.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

By robotic, do you mean a computer quilting system? If you have an automatic system I would pick a design o put one in each square. If I was doing it on my domestic sewing machine, I would use the continuous orange peel design which works in squares or rectangles.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I know you're really good with the robotics software, so I'm just going to suggest an approach, and I know you can improve on it. I would try to emphasize the diagonal lines of this quilt. Use a fairly simple block design, but consider a "block" to be 4 of your quilt's blocks, and repeat that design diagonally so that each design overlaps the previous design. The attached is a simple version of what I mean - pardon the poor drawing.
Attached Thumbnails rtw.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 AM

Here's mine, but I just did meander stipple because the blocks were only one inch. I had lots of advice here, it being a hand pieced top, but time and circumstance dictated the method I finally chose. I like it very much as it is.[ATTACH=CONFIG]533806[/ATTACH]Edited to add that it finished out king size with the turquoise border.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-05-08-11.22.20.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 06:51 PM

I have made several Trip around the World quilts, and I like to stitch in the ditch. So, I have no advice for how you want to quilt....I just wanted to say that you have made a pretty quilt! I think almost anything would look good on your quilt.

Dina
Old 10-23-2015, 05:52 AM

Love this design
Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM

Well I'm not sure if this will be helpful because I FMQ on my DSM but it might give you some ideas. My Floridian sister sent me this around the world quilt to finish for her. I wanted to make it special but couldn't see how to do it. I stitched in the ditch for most of it but for the non paisley squares I did flowers in each. Can you set your machine up to quilt something in some or all of the white squares of your quilt? Here's what I did. For me, It was a good way to get some FMQ practice in. I'm still not done with it. I'm doing it in bite sized chunks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]533922[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]533923[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]533924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]533925[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails liz-main-photo-4-3.jpg   liz-detail-1photo-1-3.jpg   liz-detail-2-photo-2-6.jpg   liz-detail-3photo-3-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 09:35 AM

I know you don't like E2E quilt patterns but this one is screaming for an Autumn Leaves Border pattern repeated in ever smaller box pattern. Start at the inner edge of your border with a corner pattern then horizontal straights, then the corner. Next row have the vertical straight to the first corner, then a corner pattern, then connect with a horizontal straight to another corner, finally a vertical straight to the first row's second corner. Next row vertical straight, then a vertical straight, then a corner connect to another corner with a horizontal straight. Box within a box within a box within a box. As you get to the other end of the quilt, back it out to close all the boxes. Complex but beautiful.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Serpentine stitch thru the blocks corner to corner, say northwest to southeast. I think your quilt looks terrific. If you were really thrilled to go to the extra work you could change your thread colors to match the fabrics.