Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas for a wedding quilt >

need ideas for a wedding quilt

need ideas for a wedding quilt

Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Default need ideas for a wedding quilt

i'm stumped. my 29 yr.son and his 24 yr. girlfriend announced their engagement. lucky for me, the wedding isn't until 06/2015. My need: i can't decide what to make for a wedding quilt.
i'm an advanced beginner, ( check Fons & Porter, "under the sea"post). i'm leaning towards something with traditional piecework and some applique. Daughter in law is psychology major who works in the library at a art school and son, a butcher/science history & science geek, loves to fish and outdoors. she was this dainty little daddy's girl when they met. Came to first family camping trip wearing ballet flats and only stayed one day because she was on her period and couldn't take a bath. This year, she was there for 5 days and nothing phased her. Son is high functioning asperger's and she is a gift from God for him.
Help, i've thought of a basket quilt with appliqued flowers, something with a medallion center.
i needle turn applique, hand quilt and am okay with points and set in seams
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Why not ask them what they would like??
... so they will be sure to love and appreciate it when they get it.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 AM

when both of my sons go married I made a big deal out of the brides ( my now daughter in laws) picking the pattern and the fabric and then Ok' samples- I think it was a great thing for starting off our relationship - and I know they both treasure the end produce
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Good suggestions from QuiltE and bdsmith. I agree. Get input from the couple about fabrics and/or the pattern and that should do it. :-) Congrats on a DIL who is good for your son. That is such a blessing!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM

I just finished my GD wedding quilt. She picked the fabric colors I did the rest. Made a sampler quilt, 32 pieced 12 in. blocks and Appliqued 24 in. center block. ( Love Birds) With flowers and vines,
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Wedding ring in colors of their choice would be good. Flynnquilt.com http://flynnquilt.com/ has templates for a large block size, and instruction books for an easy way to make them.

The medallion quilts are always a good choice. An Amish style quilt (square block in center with border around it then filling out the rest of the quilt with solid colors) would be fairly easy to do.

You can see lots of quilt blocks at quilterscache.com

And asking them is always good.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Great idea to get their input! My DD is getting married in oct. Have 2 wedding double ring quilts. 1 is very colorful for bridal shower so everyone in town here can sign with well wishes. will have saying- Families are like quilts
Lives pieced together
Stitched with smiles and tears,
Colored with memories
And bound by love.
The other will be their wedding colors for people so sign up where she lives now. dont know what Ill put on it...

My son is a high functioning autitistic man. A science and technology geek!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Saw a cute pattern the other day in an old book. When you said flower basket, it reminded me of it. It had a GFG center, then a log cabin around it to keep the hex shape. The top logs were light and the bottom was brown to look like a basket. Really cute, and clever.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

I agree with involving the new DIL in the selection. The only thing I would suggest is you have a few quilt pictures/patterns for her to pick from. If that goes well, Lunch and a trip to the fabric store.

My MIL would make baby quilts for the grandchildren and great grandchildren. They were printed cross stitch. She would have the expecting mom pick out the pattern, she would order it, work on it and present it at the shower. One of the mom's picked a twin size and every inch was cross stitched. It took the MIL until the kid's 1st birthday to get it finished instead of the normal 3 months for the baby blanket size. The MIL did it, but it took the enjoyment out of it for her. Just watching how all that unfolded taught me, you pick what to choose from.