Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need info on found sewing machine >

Need info on found sewing machine

Need info on found sewing machine

Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM

While at the thrift store today I came across what looked like a Featherweight sewing machine. It had Compac in gold across the top front of the machine. It needs to have a lot of work done on it and I am wondering if it is worth fooling with. They aren't asking much for it but it will need rewiring, a belt, new rubber gasket on the bobbin winder etc. Those were all things that were immediately noticeable. It had the original book but not being familiar with the machine I left it there. Wondering if Singer parts would be interchangeable. Any idea what it might be worth if I could get it up and working? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ann in TN
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

What makes you think it is a featherweight? Does it have the hinged table to the left of the needle? Could you take a photo of it and post it here?

If it really is a featherweight and the price is good, then it can be worth fixing up. Even featherweight parts are worth something when sold individually online. However, the "Compac" on it makes me think this may be one of the featherweight reproduction models or a different machine entirely. The reproductions are not worth fixing up.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM

I know it is not a Featherweight. I had taken a picture of it but unfortunately didn't save it on my phone, just closed the screen before saving so when I checked it wasn't there.
I have Featherweights so I know what they look like. This has the same shape, is black, from what I could tell it is the same from a distance. When you pick it up it is light. As I mentioned, it says Compac in gold lettering across the top front and the booklet that comes with it says Compac on the front. The cord has been cut from the machine so I wouldn't be able to tell if the motor works or not. It needs work and I am wondering what it might be worth once I was able to restore it. Ann in TN
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM

There were several reproductions made in China starting in the late 1990's, and mostly they are aluminum bodies and its said they are not really good mechanically. Some people say they are OK...I haven't tried one, so don't have a personal opinion.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM

I found a picture of one on Ebay. It looks like this but doesn't have the scratches on it or the case. Ann

Compac sewing machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234896.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 PM

What you have pictured is not a featherweight nor a featherweight copy. I don't know if I'd be up to putting in a lot of work and parts on it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Is it possible it's a 15-91 clone made in Japan?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM

From what I have been able to find out from reading they were made in the 1940's in occupied Japan. There really is very little info out on the web. The thing I am wondering is if you can still get parts for them or if possibly Featherweight parts might fit. It is the same size as the Featherweight, which I have, and I also have a 15-91. Have posted to Billy, but so far no reply. Ann in TN
Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Kas

It is a 15 clone, from the looks of it. I would think it would be worth it. How much were they asking for it? I am a sucker for gold decals and chrome wheels!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

From the looks it is a 15 clone.. but you said it was more of the size of the featherweight? maybe its a 15 clone that the Japanese made in 3/4 size hence the name compact.
I would think you could still use 15 parts and manual as it looks really close