Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need info on a Judy Niemeyer pattern >

Need info on a Judy Niemeyer pattern

Need info on a Judy Niemeyer pattern

Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Default Need info on a Judy Niemeyer pattern

Does anyone know the skill level for a Judy Niemeyer paper-pieced pattern called "Agave Garden"? It's comes with pre-printed foundation paper. I found it on sale for $18.75 but don't want to waste my money if it's too hard. I've done foundation pieced before but not paper-pieced.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

That's a lovely pattern. My guess is that it's not too hard since it doesn't involve any curved piecing. Some of her patterns also have lots of applique, and this one doesn't. Nothing ventured nothing gained - go for it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I'd say go for it! Just read through the directions, and take your time. You will enjoy the finished results!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM

I am fairly new to the quilting game but I think foundation piecing is a form of paperpiecing. And her patterns look like foundation piecing to me. Sounds like a good price for a fun project. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
I am fairly new to the quilting game but I think foundation piecing is a form of paperpiecing. And her patterns look like foundation piecing to me. Sounds like a good price for a fun project. Good luck.
It's actually just the opposite - paper piecing is a form of foundation piecing. In this case, paper is the foundation. Fabric (often muslin) can also be used as a foundation.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM

I just Love paper piecing. I have not done that particular pattern, but I would try if I had the pattern. I will try and help you out if you PM me with questions. No problem. Grace
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

Judy's patterns are generally NOT geared for those who don't know paper piecing well! if you buy the pattern, make a few copies of a couple of the pages and practice first...that way if you can't make the blocks, then you are not out anything and can resell a COMPLETE pattern!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM

I don't know this pattern but I have done another of hers and found it to be more difficult than expected. Read directions carefully.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

On the Judy Niemeyer pattern I'm working on, I feel that the directions are hard to understand and I've found lots of mistakes that aren't listed and corrected on her web site. If you haven't done any paper piecing it might help to try a simpler pattern first. However, compared to other JN patterns, this one doesn't look too difficult.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM

I love her patterns. If you go to her website www.quiltworx.com and click on the "Learn More" tab under the Technique section (top right), there is an explanation on how to paper piece using her technique. This particular pattern isn't too difficult. If you know someone who has used one of her patterns, perhaps they can help you get started. You can also check You Tube for a video demonstrating her techniques. I did that and saw that there are some to watch. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.